Considering a graduate program at University of Copenhagen & seeking advice.

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Considering a graduate program at University of Copenhagen & seeking advice.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Greg Burwood
    Participant

Hi Emily, thanks for replying- ditto recent eu passport holder! so no visa problems :), can’t do the states unfortunately. yes had a look at wageningin as well as hs-anhalt (bauhaus affiliated in bernburg germany) and copenhagen plus a couple of m.urb design courses. we will see- I need flexibility to work/ freelance while doing 2 years, else it will be too hard financially. Intensive focused study would be ok as long as there are decent breaks to generate an income…not sure its going to work out for me, so where are you studying- in europe? at wageningin? whats it like?

ALEX P
    Participant

NOOOO. Go to the NL!

Greg Burwood
    Participant

why Alex- whats the difference do you think?

ALEX P
    Participant

I think that, if your into it, Dutch Design, far exceeds other european design.  If you are into that uber sleek hyper minimalism (which was sooo 2006) then yes, go some where other than the NL.  If you enjoy intellectual design that is abstract, conceptual yet real, then look into the NL. my friend studied at the royal danish academy.  it sounds a lot like the NL, im just hyper obsessed with the NL.  If you do go to copenhagen at least travel to Rotterdam and amsterdam (its more than sex and drugs)  i just think you should really understand why you want to go to copenhagen before you go.  if it is a topical reason, maybe rethink it, if it is for a deep conviction about danish design, then by all means go.  I love the dutch, bikes, and their design philosophies.  I think they have as stronger design history then most other countries in europe due to the governments conviction towards contemporary design.  ultimately its your choice, but i would try to persuade you to at least look into the NL.

Greg Burwood
    Participant

good answer, thanks….I’m financially challenged at the moment 🙂 so will see how it goes, ciao

George Surovov
    Participant

so there’s no intellecutal landscape architecute or UD outside of the NL? pretty bold statement i’d say. i think there’s definitely  an overlap in contemporary design in the NL, germany, and scandinavia.. clearly its your opinion, but i can’t help think its a bit short-sighted but you can certainly elaborate. I dont think i would be so quick anymore (maybe in history we could do so, or in 100 yrs we can look back) to put any one place  on a pedestal as the greatest design center. in regards to modernism and recent contemporary design its been all about being new and abandoning the traditional and logical frameworks. the  design world today  has to be a collective input and really the only important question in design today … is WHY something is built or designed a certain way.  i would be interested in some websites or current projects in the NL you think far exceed other european designs, and i’ll gladly share some from the americas and asia.

Maria Joana Sinde
    Participant

Hi Greg

I didnt realize you were contacting me, so here comes the late reply.

When i was enrolled there were 4 blocks in a year with a week in between. Each block took 9 weeks plus an examination week. You had 1or2 courses each block.

Some courses are based in group work/lectures, and others are more theoretical. If you are writting your thesis or another individual report, you have a meeting once in a while with your supervisor and then you can be free, but if you have group work, you are expected to come and participate in the meetings. Do you have possibility to be in copenhagen for 9-10 weeks at a time? then you could eventually do 1 block, stay the 2nd home, do a 3rd one, stay home the 4th and so on.

Maybe you can get a dispensation from attending classes /group work, but i think you should contact the faculty services. Also to know if it is recognised outside. I know that the danish association of landscape architects is part of EFLA, but dont know what happens in practice as I didnt find a job yet.

ALEX P
    Participant

True.  I studied in amsterdam and tried to get a job.  to my dismay the work visa was going to cost more than my pay checks, and they would not hire americans due to the extra cost.

I agree with George. It’s true that the Dutch have developed a strong approach toward intellectual design that has a long history and is typical Dutch. But outside the NL there are definitely interesting approaches in landscape architecture. Look at America (Ian McHarg – ecological planning!) or Japan (you should read the book Mirei Shigemori – Rebel in the Garden by Christian Tschumi)

ALEX P
    Participant

Sorry.  I guess my obsession went a bit too far.  Its like when people are really obsessed with a product.  I cant get enough.  It started when I took a class about the word “-SCAPE” and part of the class was focused on dutch design, and so i have a biased point of view since that class.  that class made me want to go to the NL to study abroad, and I did.  I guess for me it is the dutch mentality towards design.  Its true there is no design capital anymore.. just another positive of contemporary design.  Its hard to knock dutch design with heavy hitters:  Rem Koolhaas, MVRDV, West8, Petra Blaisse, Vicktor and Rolf, Irma Boom, Hella Jongerious, et cetera.  To me these designers embody something that i dont see in other designs around the world:  a witty conceptualism that puts a mirror up to the user and the maker.  When i wrote the previous response i was in a hurry.  This is not to say that other designers around the world are bad.. Ken Smith is pretty conceptually evocative, Marc Jacobs (fashion), James Corner (king in my book).  Its not that i dont like anything else but dutch design.. my design library at home is overflowing with non dutch books.  I have recently taken a kin to Dutch Design.  It is not a topical affection.  I have done a lot of reading about it, the more i read the more i like.  why did you chose copenhagen then?  There are plenty of other reputable design schools around the world, including the good ole US of A.

Katie Stevens
    Participant

Hi George

Sorry I know its been a while but I just stumbled across this post. Im looking to start the KU program next September and am in the process of preparing my application. I’m interested to know what you and another poster in this thread mean when you talk about having your application “pre-approved”. What does this mean and how do you go about it?

Also, how did you go? If you’re over there I’d love to know what you think about the program!

Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register