Development Question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Curtis J. Boney
    Participant

How can I break up land and sell modular pieces of a large property to different developers and still control the Architectral layouts? I want to do things based on new urbanism concepts, not strip malls and sprawl. Strip malls and sprawl cater to modular lots… it seems hard to form a center court by the layout of multiple buildings and sell the parts off to different developers because I dont know how to require specific architecture.

Dave McCorquodale
    Participant

Depending on whether the parcel is located inside a city limits or not, if the land falls under zoning controls, and what the particular laws are in your state, something like a Planned Development District, or PDD, may provide some of the controls you are looking for.  A PDD is something like a development agreement with a municipality that sets general characteristics of parcels of land within the overall site while leaving some flexibility to the developers of each parcel.  They would have to follow your general land plan.  

If the parcel is within city limits, you may get some good info from the city administrator or development office on how to go about it.  I’m sure there are other types of things to get you where you want to go.

Dave

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Hire a good real estate attorney, subdivide the land, and place restrictive covenants on the lots to suit your goals. 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register