Finding of survey by American Planning Association

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Finding of survey by American Planning Association

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Roland Beinert
    Participant

Thought I’d post this link for anyone interested: http://www.planning.org/policy/economicrecovery/
    I haven’t read the full report, but the good news, in my opinion at least, is that about 80% of Americans want more planning and are interested in taking part in it. Forty-nine percent said parks should be a high priority in planning.

landplanner
    Participant

Thank you for posting this Roland and yes, those are good indicators. We need as many good indicators

as we can find these days. I am an AICP planner and have found that being able to offer credible and clear experience and background in planning and community development has helped me and broadened my appeal as a landscape architect. In the last few years though, it has done me little good.

Again, I am in your “camp”, while those indicators point up, unless that opinion is harnessed and energized at the local level, it will remain just what it is, collective opinion.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

I got a graduate certificate in planning while I was getting my MLA, since I’ve always had an interest in urban and neighborhood design. And, like you said, I thought it might broaden my appeal (to employers).

I was relieved when I read about this report, partly because I’ve heard so much about the whole Agenda 21 nonsense. According to people who believe this, planners and sustainability advocates are part of an insidious conspiracy by the UN to take away property rights and restrict people’s mobility, by putting in bike lanes and promoting density (not sure how that would work, especially since bike lanes would add to people’s mobility and neither bike lanes nor density have much to do with property rights). Apparently these people are disrupting planning meetings and keeping things from being accomplished. Good to know they’re just a very vocal minority.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register