GIS in your office?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tracee Johnson
    Participant

Does anyone use GIS in their office and if so, which program. My firm wants to integrate a program and we are leaning towards ESRI but I have heard good things about Autodesk products as well (Map3D and MapGuide)
    Any suggestions as to what is best? We use CAD and Revit in the office, so I wonder if the Autodesk program with integrate better.

Ryland Fox
    Participant

ArcGIS is pretty good with Autocad. Compatibility wise.

Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

My firm has also considered breaking into the GIS world, however, we have a Mac based office. Are there any GIS programs that run better on macs?

Also, how much of the project does your firm use GIS for? I have talked to some people that use it just for site analysis, but have also heard people import their designs into and use it for construction drawings and presentation drawings?

Eric Gilbey
    Participant

For GIS, ESRI may be as good as it gets, but if you are looking for a program that will receive and manage Shapefiles for your analysis and presentation purposes…as well as precisely overlay with Geo (World) Referenced Sat Image Files and even exporting to shapefiles, I would recommend Vectorworks Landmark. You can take the GIS information you may receive and utilize them in your preliminary design processes, as well as progress them to your design development stages and beyond.

With regard to the related question of GIS on a Mac, Vectorworks Landmark functions equally well in both PC and Mac.

nca
    Participant

RFox said:

ArcGIS is pretty good with Autocad. Compatibility wise.

IIsn’t it nearly impossible to import shapefiles into acad?? Last time I did, I needed to download a piece of third party software called arcv2cad. Did I miss something?

Tracee Johnson
    Participant

Does anyone use Map3D the Autodesk GIS program. nd if so, does it integrate with AutoCAD more seamlessly? Or is the integration with ESRI and Map3D similar?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register