Good books…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ryan A. Waggoner
    Participant

Just got the reading bug again and I’ve recently finished Cradle to Cradle and Silent Spring. Both great books and I’m wondering why it took so long for me to pick them up. But now I’m looking for more, and I was wondering if there were any other great reads out there I’m missing. Maybe ones that focus more on DESIGNING for sustainability. Any ideas?

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Regenerative Design for Sustainable Development by John Lyle, Permaculture Designers Manual by Bill Mollison (find a library copy if you can since it costs a lot to buy), Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs is one I reccommend, though it’s not focused on designing for sustainability (It always surprises me how few people have read it, and how they all seem to think that the only point she made was that we should have windows facing the street.)

nca
    Participant

I was entertained by James Howard Kuenstler’s books on suburbia and design, though I’m not sure I got much out of them besides cynicism.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Check out some of the books we have in the Land8 Bookstore. We have a section on Sustainable Design that has some enticing selections … http://www.land8lounge.com/bookstore

Also, there are a few book reviews in the Blogs section that are worth checking out… http://www.land8lounge.com/profiles/blog/list?tag=book+reviews

Hope this helps!

Marc C.Dick
    Participant

Try:
    DEEP ECONOMY by Bill McKibben,
    HUMAN SCALE by KirkpatrickSale
    GREEN DEVELOPMENT:INTEGRATING ECOLOGY AND REAL ESTATE by Rocky Mountain Institute
    THE ECOLOGY OF COMMERCE by Paul Hawken
    THE PRACTICE OF SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT Douglas R. Porter, editor for ULI
    TOWARD SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES by Mark Roseland

Jay Neely
    Participant

I’ve had World Changing on my shelf since early last year, and it continues to provide inspiration. It’s a pretty massive tome, that manages to be both informative and actionable.

shweta mhatre
    Participant

try Jared Diamond’s – Collapse

Ryan A. Waggoner
    Participant

Yes, I’ve seen that a few times and I’ve always meant to pick it up, but just haven’t. Some of the “green” books I have grabbed have just been “greenwashed”. Good to know this one isn’t…

Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

I just finished Hope, Human & Wild by Bill McKibben and it was great!

Ben Yahr
    Participant

I just finished reading World Made By Hand and The Long Emergency. My first reaction was definitely cynical and pessimistic, but after stepping back and thinking about it, I have a much better understanding of true sustainability, and a cautious optimism for the future.
    I would highly suggest that any professional read The Long Emergency. The complex issues that society faces cannot be solved with cookie cutter “BMPs” or a few large scale solutions, and it is extremely important that designers embrace reality rather than clinging to the status quo of the last 50 years.

Ryan A. Waggoner
    Participant

I just heard from another friend last week this was a great book to read, I’ll try picking it up next…

david maynes
    Participant

Living Systems: Innovative Materials and Technologies for Landscape Architects – (‘materials and technologies’ are more process based systems…very cool. You’ll most likely see some familiar projects described in detail)

The Landscape Urbanism Reader – Charles Waldhiem

any research article you can find by Stewart Pickett (urban ecology)

Advances in Urban Ecology – Marina Alberti

Manufactured Sites: Rethinking the Post-Industrial Landscape – Niall Kirkwood

…to name a few

Trace One
    Participant

A Pattern Language..Christopher Alexander..not about sustainable landscapes, just sustainable communities..

Ryan A. Waggoner
    Participant

I had a friend that was reading this book, doesn’t Christopher Alexander have a whole series of books like this?

Trace One
    Participant

there are just two books, A Pattern Language is more coherent of the two, but I love them..Plus very pretty books ..if you want to go for just being happy with the book in your hands!
    🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register