graphics tablet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Charles Taylor
    Participant

Looking for feedback in regard to using a graphics tablet instead of a mouse. I have been having tendonitis bigtime in my right arm. I am left handed and it has been suggested to try a tablet. Question-can I use a tablet effectively for autocad, sketchup, etc. I know it works well for photoshop. Also, what brand and size? I understand most use a wacom intuos4 but will the cheaper bamboo work just as well as a mouse replacement?

nca
    Participant

If you have tendonitis in your elbow/shoulder or even wrist I think a tablet would only exacerbate the problem. Can you draw without pain? I’d say you’d be better off with a trackball mouse which require very little movement at all. Also, a tablet with software like autocad isn’t very practical.

I’ve been using a tablet and mouse for about four years. I use a wacom intuos. good luck.

Charles Taylor
    Participant

I can draw fine with my left hand and have no discomfort. How does a tablet work with sketchup?

nca
    Participant

Not very well in my experience. I prefer to use a mouse with sketchup and autocad. A former coworker used a trackball for everything. The other advantage of using a trackball is that no one will use your machine when youre out of office.

I’d suggest using a tablet for just about anything else though, so long as you can move your shoulder, elbow and wrist without severe pain.

Ryan Tow
    Participant

I had the same issue come up with a mouse – switching to a trackball solved my problems. It allowed me to put my arm in a stationary position, and after seven years of trackball use, I don’t have any further issues with my arm.

I also use a Wacom tablet (I’m mostly 3dsmax, with a smattering of Autocad) – I’d have difficulty using the tablet as my primary pointing device, though.

Hope that helps.

Ryan A. Waggoner
    Participant

I’m thinking about switching over to the wacom as well for sketchup and photoshop work. How tough is it to use while doing 3d models?

Trace One
    Participant

I’m right-handed but use my left hand for months at a time – I find the ability to use both hands helps a lot and computer work does not take a whole lot of dexterity…

Bob Luther
    Participant

A tabelet is not going to replace your mouse… it is nearly impossible to use a tablet with Sketchup and Autocad because you dont hava middle button for panning, scrolling, rotation, and menu selection, you could program the side buttons on some of the newer models, but this still would be awkward. If you are going to get one for Photshop or Painter then I would definatley go with Wacom, they are the industry leader and have great products. I would look at a Bamboo if you are going to do mobile/laptop on the road work, and the intuos line if you are looking for a desktop solution. I have a Cintiq which is a LCD integrated into the tablet and I love it, it does come with a heafty pricetag (roughly $1000) so I would only recomend this if you ar doing a lot of Graphics work.

Track balls are the thing I have head most for tendonitis and Carple Tunnel, there is also a device called the SpacePort that is a 3D mouse and works with Sketchup and i believe AutoCad, check it out here… http://www.3dconnexion.com/

Ryan A. Waggoner
    Participant

Any tips for a tablet newbie?

Bob Luther
    Participant

Large Wacom Bamboo or mid sized Wacom Intuos III

Ryan A. Waggoner
    Participant

Just tried out the Wacom Intuos III today for the first time. I have to admit that I found it a little counter intuitive which surprised me. I’m sure it’s something that grows on you as you learn to work with it. I’m trying to take a sketchup model into Photoshop, are there any basic tips for a beginner looking to learn quickly?

Bob Luther
    Participant

Basic Tips… there are so many I will either post a blog or start a discussion on this if anyone wants it. My first poit would be to understand layers in Photoshop, and the multiply layer styles they will help out the most if you are adding alot of color to a work. If you have a black line drawing only, no textures or colors, export the image as a jpeg and set that layer to “multiply” now all the white space is transparent so you can put color layers behind the linework and you will not “muddy” your nice black lines. First tip!

Les Ballard
    Participant

The cure for Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) or tendonitis is stopping doing it! However, some rest, attempts at being ambidextrous and having a friend to massage hand, etc. all help. In addition some relief may come from using Rhus. Tox. cream available from health food shops and the like. Look it up first and always tell your doc, if you are under one, before you use it. He or she may phoo phoo the idea but should let you try. Always test on a piece of flesh you do not want first (LOL).

I do not know about the technical side of computers very much but it does occur to me that, while finicky, laptops have a touch pad, you can plug one in to a PC and, anyway, can replace a mouse with the arrows – mostly – I think. Luv n Lite

Koen Bakker
    Participant

Hi Charles,

I have an Intuos 3 tablet and I never use a mouse again. Working with a tablet takes some getting used too but it pays of in the end. It definatly solves the tendonitis issues (I am guessing you mean the carpal tunnel syndrome (arm and wrist pain)).
    With a little practise you can even use the tablet for autocad, sketchup and illustrator purposes. The simpler tablets like Bamboo will probably work fine (its from Wacom so it can’t be too bad). I do prefer the larger drawing space of the Intuos to the very small one of the Bamboo. The bamboo will probably be fine for a beginning tablet user like yourself.

Anonymous
    Inactive

After 15 years of mouse use I wound up with a curved forefinger. In seeking a method of drawing with the least possible physical impact, I simply reset my drawing program settings to optimize the use of the touchpad/buttons for use with my index finger. Regardless of the digit you employ with the touchpad/buttons, this technique will quickly become second nature after you realize the stress and tension in the hand, arm, and shoulder is gone. Make up any loss in speed by working smarter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register