Green Wall Plants – Particularly Succulents

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLANTS & HORTICULTURE Green Wall Plants – Particularly Succulents

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Wes Arola, RLA
    Participant

Anybody have any suggestions…green wall in the bay area…

Rob Halpern
    Participant

Indoors?

Outdoors?

High light levels?

Low?

Mixed, ranging from what to what?

Are moisture levels the same from top to bottom of the wall?

Which wall system is being used?

You can’t spec plants well without asking such questions.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

This might open up your thinking a bit:

http://urbanhabitats.org/v04n01/habitat_full.html

jennifer Bloch
    Participant

In the Bay Area  (will presume you mean outside…) – well, I like airplants. And also sedum(varieties) and iceplant (varieties). also Ficus pumilla repens to grow directly on walls in deep shade. I have used these plants from Hillsborough up to Coastal Sonoma, in Marin, SF (the sunset) and in Berkeley down by the water….

Christa
    Participant

I am writing from the East coast, so the short answer to your question is No, I don’t have any specific plant recommendations to offer. 

I did work on a green roof project growing plants in a greenhouse and then placing them on a local roof, and can second the sedum/delosperma suggestion for tolerant succulents. These genus are huge, so there’s bound to be something suited to your area. I found the plants’ performance to be generally but not exactly reflective of the literature. I think it’s ultimately a pretty site-specific issue, so I would suggest hedging your bets with a variety of plants. In our study, we started with 12, and ultimately would only recommend about 4, with one being the clear winner. If another green wall is available in your area, I would find out as much about it as I could. This technology is still new enough that the experience learned in a previous installation would likely be really valuable to your project. Good luck! Document and share your process!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register