Green Wall systems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cihan Karakaya
    Participant

Hi everyone, i have a kind of problem with green wall sytems therefore i really need help.

Our client wants to cover a 10.000 squaremeter of wall ( aproximately 6 meters of height.) but they found that traditional green wall system really expensive. 

So i need some new ideas to cover those walls. it can be a cheap version of green wall or i dont know some kind of membrane cover to hide the bad look of walls.

I am open to any kind of ideas. The first idea that came to my mind is to plant bamboos is in the ground and put some climbers like hedera sp. from the top of the wall. 

I am waiting for your posts here cause i have to solve this problems within 2 days.

Boilerplater
    Participant

Have you looked at wire trellis systems like this: http://www.vertigrowtrellis.com/ ?  Or this: http://www.greenscreen.com/home.html?  Doesn’t give you the virtuosity in planting design that you could get with a real green wall system but at least it covers up a wall with greenery.

Bamboo might get a little battered, depending on how your climate is, by the wind smacking it into the wall.  I’m leery of putting hedera helix on walls because it is so aggressive and hard to remove when you need to make wall repairs or paint.  I spent a good portion of the summer of 2010 scraping and power washing the walls of my own house to remove hedera helix that had firmly established itself.

Cihan Karakaya
    Participant

Thanks for the both answers. Those links were really helpfull i will share them with my co-ordinator today.

Cihan Karakaya
    Participant

i have checked their website, those materials is really enough for me. Thanks for help, right now the decision is up to my co-ordinator.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

We use a vines and a wire mesh system(like boilerplater linked) whenever we do “green walls”. Works well, covers the wall and satisfies any requirements by the city for green walls.

Cost – the mesh is not too outrageous and there are plenty to choose from.

Performance – time tested and works well with vines that do not traditionally do well on a building surface.

I have tried grape vines and others with tendrils instead of the more invasive ivy.

Maintenance – Occasional pruning is all that is needed and if you avoid the ivys or other plants that stick to the wall surface.

I know that you are starting to see the green walls with plants growing in the wall itself, with systems similar to green roofs. However I just don’t think those systems are worth the extra cost at this point and forget about the maintenance.

Bill Delaney
    Participant

You might look at heavy concrete mesh that comes in sheets and I think I have seen it galvinized?

mark foster
    Participant

I have found that some vines don’t like to climb wire.  Maybe the coating shown Boilerplater’s system helps.  Anyone else experienced this?

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Each type of vine climbs differently; some by twining(best with mesh), some with tendrils, and some with aerial roots. I like using mesh with vines that twine, since they are the easiest to control. They tend to stay on the areas with your mesh and will not cover your entire building.

Cihan Karakaya
    Participant

You mean those iron meshes, right? If so it may be a cheap solution.

By the way we couldn’t convince the customer for green wall systems. so we will use that bamboo idea for them.

But I will keep all those suggestions in mind for future projects.

Mas Halim
    Participant

just to share the link on another option of Vertical Green Wall.

http://www.eco-question.com/the-vertical-garden-on-concrete-walls-a…

Designed and created by Patrick Blanc, but very costly on maintenance issues.

Materials and constructions:-

The Vertical Garden is composed of three parts: a metal frame, a PVC layer and a layer of felt. The metal frame is hung on a wall or can be self-standing. It provides an air layer acting as a very efficient thermic and phonic isolation system. A 1 cm.-thick PVC sheet is riveted to the metal frame. This layer brings rigidity to the whole structure and makes it waterproof.

A felt layer, made of polyamide, is stapled on the PVC. This felt is rot proof and its high capillarity allow an homogeneous water distribution. The roots grow on this felt.

Plants are installed on this felt layer as seeds, cuttings or already grown plants. The density is about thirty plants per square meter. The watering is provided from the top. Tap water must be supplemented with nutrients. Watering and fertilization are automated.

The whole weight of the Vertical Garden, including plants and metal frame, is lower than 30 kg per square meter. Thus, the Vertical Garden can be implemented on any wall, without any size or height limitation.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register