Gulf Oil Spill

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

oh, and I forgot:
    6. And I have a solution to this desperate problem, but they need to call ME!
    (I am sure you know there is an open line from BP to accept public ideas for help, and something like over 7,000 ideas have been submitted.)..
    Brother..
    back to work.!

nca
    Participant

I don’t get it either.

Maybe there hasn’t been enough pictures of oil-covered animals on TV. My thought has been that it will take the ‘slick’ arriving on New England beaches to fuel real public outcry.

Really, though how are you going to use volunteers anyway? We’ve already seen cases in which local volunteers got sick.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m getting tired of the ‘tough-talk’ from the politicians as well.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I don’t think that is the case at all that we need oil on the beaches. Hell, people are raising gazillions on global warming based on nothing more than people announcing data. Non-profits are self mobilizing and they are just not out there this time around. I don’t get it. If nothing else, it is a fund raising opportunity which makes me really not get it.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

Thank you for your response Mr. Halpern. Yours is the voice of reason and experience. All very true…

On a side note, there is an opportunity here to create an exhibit of images from this beautiful disaster. Art may also provide solutions to the problem. We need to call in Christo and Jeanne-Claude to do a massive installation (see images at bottom). Public art and habitat protection! What could be better!?

Trace One
    Participant

the beauty of a snuff film.

nca
    Participant

Great images Johnson.

Too bad Jean-Claude passed away a few months ago.

Trace One
    Participant

Never did like Christo, except for the Gates, and now I understand why..

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

TraceOne – Christo probably didn’t like you either…

Here’s my concept sketch of an oil recovery device. It’s probably too late for this event, but might be an interesting idea to develop in the future… Also, what would happen if you just placed a dome over the hole? Would 5,000 feet of water pressure keep it in place? Would the pressure collapse it? Would the oil pressure on the inside offset the water pressure on the outside… Who knows… I’m just a rambling landscape designer… OK, back to looking for work…

Trace One
    Participant

of course you have accounted for the formation of hydrates? the first dome just floated away. And like I said, BP has an open call for any and all ideas – don’t post here, post there! At least you cant be faulted for self-confidence and simplicity.

nca
    Participant

You might change your mind if you ever heard them speak. I did in Denver a little over a year ago before Jean Claude died and it was inspiring.

nca
    Participant

Nice design Tom. Good work getting after it and doing something. Did you send your sketch to BP? It kind of looks like ‘Top Hat’…or doesn’t it?

I’m going to re-tag this discussion as ‘BP Oil Spill Concepts’ and see if we can get some google hits, lol.

I’d like to see some more sketches from anyone else..

Mike G
    Participant

Paging Dr. Nemo. Please report to the Nautalis for underwater reassignment.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

TraceOne – Take your attitude somewhere else. We’re here for ideas and solutions, not half-wit criticisms…

First of all the whole hydrates excuse is just that, an excuse from BP. If the water is not frozen at that depth, why is it freezing when combined with oil in the cap. It wouldn’t. The cap just didn’t work. The tube was not big enough/pumps not strong enough to pump the thick sludge…

Second of all, the dome didn’t “just float away”. It’s still there, it just didn’t work. The dome they used was box-like and the size of a house. Mine would be a dome and the size of an oil tanker. Different scale and different physics. Also, didn’t you notice my sweet anchors to hold it in place? No floating away there… My idea was proposed with questions, not as a single solution. There are issues that need to be addressed, not by you of course, but by qualified professionals.

Thirdly, thank you. Yes, I am confident in my ideas. You’re obviously not, because you haven’t offered any ideas… and as far as simplicity, I firmly believe that the simple answer is the best answer. No need to make things overly complicated. Or, as Einstein said, “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.”

There… put that in your pipe and smoke it…

Trace One
    Participant
    nca
    Participant

Mike,

I would have liked to see your entire post before you edited. I’ve been listening to NPR at work and have heard some of the kooky ideas some callers have presented. Oddly enough, BP was evidently already working on them at the time, lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register