Gulf Oil Spill

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

Dr. Nemo reporting, Sir. Ready for my next assignment…

Trace One
    Participant

First of all, hydrates was not just an excuse. Second, stick drawings are great, except when you listen to one second of science, for which you simultaneously seem to have no respect, as well as an overwhelming faith.

My solution is the no-build solution, for oil drilling.
    So stick your stick drawings where They belong. Your attitude has been one of reverence for oil, and reverence for yourself, from the start.
    You sound like the guy on NPR who called up to say, Why can’t we just throw a big rock down on the pipe?
    We are such a weird culture – no knowledge of science, and absolute faith in it to solve things.

Trace One
    Participant

How about having everyone in America shave their heads, expose the hair to growth hormone so it is alive, enfuse it all with oil-eating bacteria, send it down on dolphins to wrap around the blasting tragedy, to build up into a living reef of oil-bacteria-hair, as the inner colums of bacterio-phage hair dies, and the outer continues to grow..
    We can chip it off and eat it,for thousands of years..
    Can’t input drawings at work, otherwise happy to draw the reef-column hair out for you.
    Let’s see..
    How about pumping the spill up higher and higher, so it bursts out into the air, instead of trying to contain it, and solves our global warming problem by providing the particulate matter to block the sun that geo-engineers are so fond of.

How about taking a million drinking straws, of which I am sure we can get ahold of in a trice, since our society is good at making plastic straws, and having eveyone start to suck away at the gulf, draining it to it’s bare bottom, while everyone holds the water in we will go in and plug the pipe with concrete, and spit out the water back before a single other pelican dies..Republican would object to the nanny-state technique, but we would get it done before they get time to sit down and cry.

shall I go on..

nca
    Participant

what’s the point you’re trying to make here?

I can delete as fast as you can post.

Trace One
    Participant

Heard them both speak, at the Gates. I loved the Gates, really loved it..But they are charlatans, I truely beleive, I never liked anything else they did – and those photos really illustrate to me finally why I don’t like Christo – it is death. The plastic wrapping is death of a biotic system..The Gates were not.

Trace One
    Participant

Christo calling – from the grave – told me to tell you that you are glue, he is rubber, etc….

Trace One
    Participant

those ideas are as valid as anything else presented here..what is your point, Nick?

nca
    Participant

I didn’t say anything about your ideas Trace. You have a vivid imagination, thanks for sharing!

My only point is that this is a forum for design ideas and discussion and I’d like to hear or see more (ideas and discussion). I’m fine with unsolicited criticism, just please keep it constructive and tactful.

Trace One
    Participant

okay, okay, I apologize. Constructive and tactful..You got it..Snarky is just too much fun..I will save it for political blogs, where I am tame compared to most posters..
    Trace out.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

You should be a creative writing major!

While I like your ideas, unfortunately, I won’t be able to contribute to the national hair reef (see profile picture) which leaves me feeling a bit left out…but I say go for it!

If I were you, I might try the drinking straw approach first because you will get hairballs caught in your throat if the failed hair-reef is already established. Might I also suggest curly straws, because, well, they are more fun!

nca
    Participant

Thanks.

Don’t get me wrong. I appreciate the attitude and snarkiness, but I want to encourage more people to contribute. I dont think we have a large and dedicated community here yet to afford scaring people away with poli-talk and straight out ego-bashing.

Feel free to pick on me all you want. I need the practice.

nca
    Participant

One more thing about Christo and the oil images–

My analysis, and an admitted amateur one at that, is that both the photographs of the oil and the Christo work is for the viewer terribly ironic. The juxtaposition of the viceral beauty and the pending destruction. The christo and jean-claude work is ironic also in the same way while touching on the sense of ephemerality of that beauty and the hubris of humankind.

Listening to them speak, I know that for the artists (Christo and Jean-Claude) it could be about something very different. They seemed to enjoy the craft in their major works as much as, if not more than, the end result. I appreciate their work more every time I see it.

If they had a socio-political objective I believe they would have been in protest of this tragedy. I agree that art has a place in society, particularly as a mechanism for cultural change.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

The wider the pipe, the lower the pressure. I’d guess that the problem in trying to stop it is fighting the pressure. I have to wonder if they could not place a 20′ (or 50′) wide pipe with a mechanism that could close after in is properly anchored and sealed below the high pressure leak, while letting the oil and pressure blow through as it is being secured. Once secured, it could simply be shut off. …. it must be more difficult than that.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Wow, I’ve never seen a discussion on land8 get this sarcastic. It’s kind of funny, except for the subject.
    I think I saw some treehugger article about Kevin Costner coming up with a solution to the oil spill. I didn’t bother reading it at the time but now I might track it down and post a link.

Roland Beinert
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register