Has Land8 helped you cope?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I decided that it really does not matter, so I updated my profile.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

I hope by asking to be let go you are still eligible for unemployment benefits.  That was what kept me solvent for the year I was out of work…

Good luck on the next phase, it took courage to do what you did and that mentality will serve you well moving forward.

Anonymous
    Inactive

MauiB – You need a hug man.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

Agreed.  I have oft been inspired by the work i have seen on here.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s definitely the journey. These are the times we’ll be able to tell war stories about when we’re old.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the props, but honestly I’m anything but fearless. Survival instincts force me to push through the fear. It’s the uncertainty in being an entrepreneur that makes it so scary. The worrying that comes with the absence of a steady paycheck started turning my beard gray. That said, I’m the happiest I’ve ever been because I’m free. I’m not depending on someone else’s business generating and managing ability to earn a living. It’s on me, sink or float.

BZGirl there comes a point when a person can only handle so much. When you find yourself miserable and not being able to sleep because you’re replaying unpleasant events from your workday over and over in your head, it’s time to go. Living for an extended period under such conditions is toxic. People will say you’re crazy for leaving a job during hard times, but if a job is making you sick you’re much better off without it, especially if the business is about to go under. At least you’re opening a new chapter in your life on your own terms.

Keep being a “stand-up” landscape architect and work hard; everything else will take care of itself.

alland
    Participant

Having experienced all of the above and more, including starting my own consulting practice, all I can say is:

Bravo, BZ Girl, most of us have been there….we’re all just trying to take control of our careers. I think it may be a natural progression…pushed fast forward by economic turmoil. The ‘Great Recession’ or the ‘recession that made us Great’. (I stole that line BTW)…

BZ Girl
    Participant

Thank you all for your encouragement…it’s needed! Despite their verbal agreement to my offer to be voluntarily laid off, apparently my former employer is now changing their tune and saying that i resigned. They gave me a formal letter with my last paycheck that said ‘we accept your resignation’ yadda yadda yadda. Which I’m guessing would prohibit me from being eligible for unemployment benefits. EVEN THOUGH they have given us paycut after paycut after paycut, and taken away all the employee benefits, my boss refused to acknowledge that it was in the best interests of both the company and myself to lay me off; he said that since it was all my idea he considers it a ‘resignation.’ He would rather keep everyone onboard and working for barely more than slave wages rather than do the humane thing and lay people off to pursue more financially-feasible options. 

Oh, and in my final paycheck, they deducted $1200 for the LARE reimbursables they had paid me as a benefit over a year ago. They claimed they ‘changed the company policy’ FIVE DAYS before i left, and the new policy allows them to retroactively take that money back if the employee doesn’t remain employed with them 2 years after the reimbursables are paid. This was NOT the policy that was in effect when i took the tests, NOR when the reimbursables were paid to me, and i don’t see how it’s legal for them to garnish my wages like that when they changed the rules ‘after the fact.’ But it’s a small company, most of the federal employees’ rights rules do not apply to them and they get away with S#@! because they can. What can i do?

At least this reaffirms my decision to leave. I was literally physically ill over the whole situation all weekend, and at least Thank God i never have to see those people again. Time for a new chapter. Onward and upward!

BZ Girl
    Participant

Thanks Henry! This was very helpful. I found that our state dept. of labor has a payday law that expressly prohibits witholding wages from a paycheck, unless it’s court-ordered (like child support), state or federally required (like taxes), or is expressly agreed to in writing with a document signed by the employee. Since my situation falls outside of all of these parameters, it looks like i have just cause to file a claim for lost wages.

Once again Land8 forum proves to be very helpful!!

G. Ryan Smith
    Participant

i agree. even though we’re all in a way competing with each other, not operating in complete isolation is indeed a good thing.

G. Ryan Smith
    Participant

ha! where have you been all my life?

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s an interesting point of view Marie. Although I think the name calling is unnecessary, I think overall discussions are pretty civil considering the tough times we’re in. Compared to the nasty comments I see on other sites, Land8 folks are angels. Honestly, I would expect a little “back and forth” on subjects landscape architects and designers are passionate about. I personally am not afraid to mix it up, but I always try to be respectful. Sometimes I’m more successful at playing nice than others, but if I have to apologize for being a curmudgeon, I’m not too proud to do so. I know I can be abrasive sometimes, but it’s always coming from the right place.

“…land8 leaves my palate for academic and professional thought unquenched, the bickering turns me off.”

When I read this the first thing that popped into my head was this discussion I had with a resident at a gated community that I’ve been working with. This lady adamantly expressed at a landscape committee meeting that the early blooming rhododendron I specified didn’t bloom in the two years they’ve been in the ground. After I politely told her that they bloomed nicely and that I had photos, she almost blew a cork. She swore that because they’re planted right outside here door, she should know weather they bloomed or not. I patiently waited a month for the next meeting to show her photos of the 4’ x 4’ rhodies in bloom with a fine dusting of snow on the ground. There were about 90 of them in full glory on her street and in front of her house (which was in the far background of the image).

Hmm! Long story just to say, if you can’t see the incredible sharing of primo information on this site perhaps you should look again. International discussions about technology, design, graphics and so much more are common place. What I love the most is the general spirit of supportiveness from the members. Maybe I live a sheltered life, but where else can I get all of this kind of warmth and fuzziness for free.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

It’s pretty good but I’d prefer the real thing…

I have met some interesting/entertaining people, have seen some inspirational work and have obtained some great resources.

Pretty good but it sure would be nice to go to an office every day…

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Don’t like the topics or the ‘conversation’? Start your own thread…thats how these “social media” things work.

mauiBob
    Participant

Hostile? People in here are generally pushovers and soft. On occasion, people become passionate about certain subjects and methods of producing their work. I’m not sure what your idea of ‘hostile’. For the most part, we may disagree but comments are respectful. Now, I don’t even have to view your profile to know you’ve never dealt with finicky clients and overbearing construction consultants on site or the telephone. You need to develop a tougher skin if you’ll make it as a project manager someday.

And if you think I’m being harsh, you’ve got a long way to go! This is reality. Just my thoughts.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register