Help wiith model material

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    nca
    Participant

Anybody have suggestion for a readily available material to use for rock slabs in a 20 scale model. Ideally, it would be something easy to shape, and a neutral tone, but not too messy. Past projects, pictures?

thanks..

-n

Les Ballard
    Participant

hi, dolls house makers are everywhere and have a trick to replicate everything using locally available materials. For example, we have 2 grades of Milliput and a clay that sets called das for your purposes but, you may not. i believe you do have something called silver clay though that you set in a domestic oven. We use here tea, from used tea bags, dried and glued with pva, to represent soil around plat pots. So, though different kinds of model making has their own black arts, you may wish to frequent yourself with the dark world of the amateur dolls house afficianado. Incidentally, 1/12 and 1/20 scale are covered by these folk as a matter of course. Libraries and recreational sections of adult education centres often have lists of folk into different fields, while your most local dolls house magazine will have ads and other clues as to who is about. Good luck,
    Luv n Lite,
    Les Ballard

Aris Basa
    Participant

when i used to do miniatures full time we used foam pvc sheets, they come in variety of thickness-1mm,2mm,3mm,6mm,10mm in 1200mmx2400mm boards and are available in various colors, we basically used gray and white.Easy to cut,easily sanded and bonds quickly with cyanoacrylate or contact cement.Absorbs water paint and acrylics…should be available at your nearest sign making shop.

nca
    Participant

I was thinking all white/monotone. I had a very fine styrofoam in mind that doesn’t disintegrate easily. I haven’t started yet, so suggestions are still certainly welcomed.

christine dianni
    Participant

If layering is not a problem, you could try chip board, glued, clamped, ideally cut with a saw and maybe sanded..or cork, not sanded.

Ryan Sand
    Participant

anyone got any tips for cottonwoods at say a 900 scale with 2.5 vertical exageration… ya these suckers are small.

nca
    Participant

Dude, I would be thinking about just using some of that green spngy stuff with the glue and some of that green sandy stuff on the brown hard stuff. That should work. So what did the dimensions of your model end up being?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register