Hi-Res Aerials

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Clayton Munson
    Participant

Beyond Google Earth and ArcMap. What sources are people using to acquire Hi-Res aerials of project sites? My company deals with large scale HOA’s that can cover multiple square miles. We would like to find a source for aerial images that allow for close-up clear images (lot size) and zoomed out community wide shots.

Esri (ArcGIS) used to have the market share but a quick search reveals that there are many more companies producing satellite imagery. Some free some for a price.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Drone based aerial photography. For the less than the price we used to pay to have something flown by a plane, I bought a drone and shoot my own site photography.

Google Earth vs Drone Photography

Clayton Munson
    Participant

We’ve tossed that idea around in my office. My concern is that we work with primarily HOA’s. I would be concerned about privacy complaints. Programming a drone to map an entire community would risk photographing private property.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I guess if you are concerned about privacy concerns blowing back on the firm, you could just purchase existing real estate photography or commission a custom photography with an aerial imaging company. Nobody is going to notice a properly flown drone at 400’ and won’t bat an eye at a plane flying overhead well above that. You would be amazed at what a plane captures from 2000’ with the right camera. Ultimately from a legal perspective, someone sitting in their back yard has no reasonable expectation of privacy when it comes to aerial photography.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

We do also need to be careful about laws regarding drones and also liability insurance. My insurer recently sent me information letting me know that they will not cover liability for drone use. Also, most of my work is done within 5 miles of one airport or another. My understanding is that it is illegal to fly a drone within 5 miles of any airport without the airport’s approval …. that is what stopped me from getting one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Those are good points. To fly commercial work in the US, you get licensed by the FAA or you hire someone who is. If you get licensed, you then get insurance for the drone operation to protect your financial interests. Your proximity to an airport does not prevent you from flying the drone, there are procedures and airspace to observe. Personally, if I had s job on or very near a significant airport, I would hire someone to shoot it just to be on the safe side.

They can help you do so much more than mapping as well. Our profession should be advocating for reasonable rules for drone use by licensed professionals.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register