High Line part II Pics and article

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION High Line part II Pics and article

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Not being able to go myself for quite some time, I came across this blog-style gallery of a “behind the scenes” look at the High Line Part II. Also, be sure to cleek on the link at the bottom of the article text for a pictoral stroll down the new section of the High Line.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/06/23/behind_the_scenes_the_secret_paths_of_the_high_line.php

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Not to beat a dead-(or ageing) horse…but for those who can’t get to NYC.

Here is a nice HD video on the highline.

http://www.architectmagazine.com/architects/the-high-line-phase-2.aspx

Trace One
    Participant

Not to beat a dead  horse, also, Jason, but check out Corner’s lecture on Youtube  in the Spring at USC entitled ‘Recent Works’..Very interesting – find there is more there for us LA’s than in the magazine articles, personally..

Trace One
    Participant

Thanks for the posts, Jason, but I still have to say, that baby looks tough..A lot of hard urban walking, the human density approaching Calcutta, apparently, without the shopping interests, and no nooks or crannies to rest at all..

I will see it this fall, and form a real opinion, but as an avid interpreter of videos and photos, Prospect Park it is NOT, in terms of revolutionary landscape, urban relief, landscape design integrity, unity, and humanity.

Corner looks like he would be happier playing rugby, than in the suit and tie….I wonder…

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

Jason, thanks for posting….I love NYC and don’t get there often enough so I haven’t seen the High Line up close and personal…..

About the High Line, while I like what I see, I just wonder how “sustainable” ( to quote a trite overly used cliche’) an elevated, exposed artificial landscape can be. It must be horribly expensive to maintain….I’m sure I’d love it for pedestrian circulation if nothing else. Do they really have the cash to keep it maintained/sustained? I hope they can keep it safe and maintained….

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

Thanks for the link Jason! It’s really neat to get to see what’s under High Line (something I hadn’t really considered) and what goes into maintaining it…

It looks like the park is holding up really well and it’s attracting a lot of users… what a great space to have in NY! Hopefully I’ll get to see it in person some day… 

I’m not so sure about the AOL section though… It looks like a balloon fetish’s acid trip… and maybe it is… whatever. different strokes… it’s always good to add a little shock n’ awe to public spaces, make people smile / think, and besides, it’s temporary, so have fun with it!

On an unrelated note: Here’s something I found on that most entertaining site CURBED: How not to install a swimming pool:

ida
    Participant

I remember hearing that it’s maintained by private and public partnership, and I’m sure the businesses there are quite happy with it attracting tourists. I too like to know how much it costs to maintain it versus the revenue from tourism

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

Worst case scenario: you stop maintaining it and it becomes a more rustic / naturalized version… a hybrid of it’s former and current self.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register