How long can you go between taking sections of the LARE?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION How long can you go between taking sections of the LARE?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Roland Beinert
    Participant

I’m just getting going on this, and I’m finding money isgoing to be a problem. I think I can manage the $150 to start my council record (still not entirely sure what that means)next month. Then I’d like to take each section of the test one at a time to spread out the cost. My current job is not too dependable, and my parents can’t afford to give me more than a few hundred a month to help. Anyone know how long can I go between taking sections?

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

My understanding is that you lose the parts that you passed after three years go by. In other words, you need to pass the complete exam in a three year window. Then you start dropping off the first year’s passed exams and need to re-take them before you lose the credit of the other exams that you passed.

Some states used to offer the exams twice a year while others only offered them once. Idaho used to do it twice, Massachusetts only does it once. You used to be able to pay extra to CLARB (imagine that) to allow you to take a section for your state in another state. I got my Idaho license by finishing the exam in Maine while living in Massachusetts in order to finish in that 3 year window.

I was still working on my intern time to be eligible for licensure in Massachusetts. I got my Idaho license so that I would not lose the initial exams that I passed while still living in Idaho as I would not have had the required two years internship to sit for the Massachusetts exam in time. The difference was only a couple of months, so by the time I was notified that I passed I was already eligible for reciprocity. Had I not done that, I would have had to wait a year, re-take three sections, and pay for them again.

I am not sure that is a correct statement.  I believe the time frame is based on the requirements State where you are applying for your initial licensure.  For example:  The State of Michigan allows you a 10 year time frame.  I am sure other states have different requirements.  I don’t see anywhere on the CLARB website where they even speak to this issue.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Dennis, you are correct. It has been a while (2000) 

from LARE FAQ:

How long do I have to complete all five sections of the
    L.A.R.E.?

Please contact the registration board in the jurisdiction
    in which you are pursuing initial licensure for more information.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Just knock them all out in a year…

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Right, Jordan, easy for you to say. Right now I have a job that has nothing to do with landscape architecture. The amount of work varies to the point where I make $700 one month and $500 the next. Theoretically, I could make more, but there’s never enough work for that. My bills are enough that I can’t manage to save anything from one month to the next. If I had $1700 to spend on whatever I wanted, I’d gladly take it all at once, but eating and keeping the heat on is more of a priority right now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register