In Need

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Zach Watson
    Participant

I’m not sure if I’m stepping on any toes with this request, but I am in need of some General Construction Notes for a project in my Construction class.  If this something that others to not want to give out I understand but I have been searching the internet for these notes and have not been able to find anything.  Thank you for your help.

Zach

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

These are general planting notes that I put on residential plans . Note that “Digsafe” is an agency in Massachusets that oversees the marking of underground utilities and other states have similar agencies of different names.

Are you looking for site construction notes regarding drainage, paving, sewer, … ?

1)  ALL PLANT MATERIAL SHALL CONFORM TO THE AMERICAN STANDARD FOR NURSERY STOCK BY THE AMERICAN NURSERY & LANDSCAPE ASSOCIATION OR THE PLANT MATERIAL WILL BE UNACCEPTABLE. ALL PLANT MATERIAL SHALL BE TRUE TO SPECIES, VARIETY, SIZE AND BE CERTIFIED DISEASE AND INSECT FREE. THE OWNER AND/OR THE LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT RESERVES THE RIGHT TO APPROVE ALL PLANT MATERIAL ON SITE PRIOR TO INSTALLATION.

2)  PROVIDE PLANTING PITS AS INDICATED ON PLANTING DETAILS. BACKFILL PLANTING PITS WITH ONE PART EACH OF TOPSOIL, PEAT MOSS AND PARENT MATERIAL.

3)  NEWLY INSTALLED PLANT MATERIAL SHALL BE WATERED AT THE TIME OF INSTALLATION. REGULAR WATERING SHALL BE PROVIDED TO ENSURE THE ESTABLISHMENT, GROWTH AND SURVIVAL OF ALL PLANTS.

4)  ALL PLANT MATERIAL SHALL BE GUARANTEED BY THE CONTRACTOR FOR ONE YEAR AFTER THE DATE OF FINAL ACCEPTANCE. ANY PLANT MATERIAL THAT DIES WITHIN THAT TIME PERIOD SHALL BE REMOVED, INCLUDING THE STUMP, AND REPLACED BY A TREE OF SIMILAR SIZE AND SPECIES AT THE EXPENSE OF THE CONTRACTOR.

5)  ALL PLANTING BEDS SHALL RECEIVE 2″ OF SHREDDED PINE BARK.

6) CONTRACTOR SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR CALLING DIGSAFE (1-888-344-7233) AND VERIFYING THE LOCATION OF ALL UNDERGROUND & OVERHEAD UTILITIES PRIOR TO COMMENCEMENT OF WORK.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

This is a good chance for you to think out the construction process. The “general construction notes” is the place that you can include all the things that are not spelled out elsewhere on the drawing and are more critical than only being covered by the spec.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Zach – sometimes you need to do a little leg work to find information. I’m sure you could find the kind of construction notes you need in your school’s architectural library or in your nearest town library’s architectural section. There’s a ton of information in books that are getting dusty on shelves. Try to find books by Theodore Walker or other landscape construction books. I’ve been seeing more and more request by students on Land8 for easy information for their student projects. Maybe we pros are doing them a disservice by just spoon feeding them information. These guys need to be able to do real research instead of just Googling everything. Just sayin’.  

Zach Watson
    Participant

Thank you for your help Andrew.

Zach Watson
    Participant

The construction project that we have for his class will involve: demo, grading, paving, plant installation, irrigation, and electrical.  My instructor said the we should be able to find general construction notes on city websites and I looked for several hours trying to find them and couldn’t, so I figured my next best source for things like this would be my friends in in the lounge.

Thanks for the thoughts and willingness to help!

Zach

Zach Watson
    Participant

Craig, thank you for the ideas and I completely agree that students should not be spoon fed the information, personally I would be happy to do the leg work myself I’m just not sure where to go to find the information because it was suggested that I go to the city websites and they would have the information.

Zach

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wonder why your instructor isn’t having you write you own construction notes. Like Jordan said, it’s a good way to think through the construction process.

You’d be surprised at what you can learn snooping around in old construction books and drawing files. I am amazed at how much information is still not on the internet. I would say that I have to go to a library or some other source half the time to find the information I need.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you can afford it; it’s a must have in every LAs personal library.

Zach Watson
    Participant

Thanks Craig, when I get there later today I’ll stop by and see what I can find.  I appreciate the feedback though because from what I have seen CD’s are the most important aspect of LA work. As I have heard before, someone can have the greatest idea in the world but if that vision can’t be relayed to others especially contractors who are building it, then that vision means nothing.  So the construction process is something that I really want to be able to nail down well.

Zach

Zach Watson
    Participant

Thanks Henry, I take a look in there.

Zach

Anonymous
    Inactive

When you get the construction process nailed down, you can come teach me. I’ve found that I can create the tightest CD package ever and things still get jacked up because most of the contractors I’ve worked with don’t read the notes and forget about referring to the drawings once they have things laid out. I’ve had some of my designs “tweeked” so much I could hardly recognize the finished product. This is why I always push construction observation on all of my proposals.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Also check out time savers standards for landscape arch and plan graphics by Davis and Walker. I can bet that they are sitting on the shelf at your schools library… If not inter-library loan them.

nca
    Participant

I’m wondering wtf your instructor is supposed to be doing.

Zach Watson
    Participant

My instructor is a great guy and very experienced in the field.  The General Construction notes that he is looking for me to provide are the notes that are specific to a city municipality.  After thinking about it for a while after I posted this and getting some of the replies, I realized that this might not be the best place to ask because of the broad field of people, but I also figured that many of the notes are the same or similar across many municipalities.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register