Integrating Restoration and Public Recreation: Northwest examples

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLACES & SPACES Integrating Restoration and Public Recreation: Northwest examples

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Betsy Bermingham
    Participant

Hi everybody,

I’m toying with a research/presentation idea and am looking for more precedents. I’d like to look into BMPs for integrating low intensity public recreation with a restoration-focused project. I have a few northwest shoreline examples with fairly rigorous restoration objective monitoring that seem to be working, but they are fairly recent projects (Seahurst Park, Olympic Sculpture Park beach).

Any thoughts on older restoration sites that integrate recreation or public education and do this particularly well? Any thoughts on sites that have not faired so well, maybe they’ve been “loved to death” by site users? I’m particularly interested in sites in the pacific northwest, but if you have a great one outside of this region send it along.

Note: My definition of “restoration” is loose – I’m interested in projects that restore or promote a process or factor that can benefit a target species; I’m not just interested in sites that are returned to their historic pre-development conditions. 

I appreciate your input – thanks!

Betsy

Daniel Miller
    Participant

First thing that comes to my mind is Tanner Springs Park in Portland, OR

http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/finder/index.cfm?PropertyID=1273&action=ViewPark

Not sure it falls into the “restoration” definition — but it’s a re-purpose and is very successful at integrating public use with BMPs.

Betsy Bermingham
    Participant

Thanks Daniel!

Brett T. Long
    Participant
    Betsy Bermingham
    Participant

Thanks Brett, this looks great.

Chupacabra
    Participant

This may not fit, but what about rivers like the White Salmon that are having dams removed?

Betsy Bermingham
    Participant

Thanks Chupa, It’s going to be amazing to see how the White Salmon and Elwha progress! I think I need some older restoration examples though.

Also – for those of you in the northwest, Society for Ecological Restoration and the American Fisheries Society Northwest and B.C. chapters are teaming up for a conference in Victoria. There are quite a few LAs in our membership as well as scientists, planners, restoration practitioners, academics…it’s going to be a great conference. http://agm2012.wabc-afs.org/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register