Interesting Ways To Create Spaces In Limited Space

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLACES & SPACES Interesting Ways To Create Spaces In Limited Space

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Erik Kepler
    Participant

Right now in class we are working on a project in which we must convert a very small parking lot into some kind of outdoor space used by the cafe.  We have the challenge of creating separate spaces within this already small site.  So, that leads to the main question of the post.  What are some interesting ways you have created spaces in either a small site or just in general?

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Use the perimeter as much as possible for your usable space to maximize the actual limited space.

Layering what is seen tends to make a small space look bigger because it builds visual depth. When you have a foreground, middle ground, and background you have more depth.

Avoid complete separation of spaces in order to visually borrow from the adjacent spaces. You see this in restaurant interiors all of the time, yet it often goes unnoticed.

Jennifer de Graaf
    Participant

go vertical with your visual interest, you won’t have room for much layering.

Use plantings that are “transparent” (term borrowed from Oheme and Van Sweden I think) so you can have plantings that maintain an open feeling.

and I agree with andrew g – avoid complete separations, that is wasted work and materials. You know how hallways in homes rob square footage from rooms? same thing applies outside. For a cafe, it is all about ambiance and # of seats so they can serve max # of people.

also, include detail that is to be seen from close-up, it is kinda like psychological layering because there’s more to see and the customers will be sitting close to everything looking at their surroundings while they wait and eat.

Please post your solution, I’m gonna follow this discussion and want to see!

Rob Halpern
    Participant

Call me old fashioned (go ahead!), but I say start with what the space is to do: function. There are many ways to divide spaces but first the question is “To accomplish what?” That will lead you to suitable answers. Whether the sub-divided spaces ought to be transparent or not rides on the function. Whether interest ought to go vertical or to the ground plane rides on the function.

Ken Hendrickson
    Participant

How “permanent” are these division? Could the space be transformable i.e. creative movable divisions (which could be transparent, layered, and permeable). Could you create a space with sounds? Textures? I also like space defined by or created by water and/or interesting plant textures – but in creative ways.

Erik Kepler
    Participant

I’m really liking all of these ideas, I think I may try to incorporate them into my design in some way, I have it set out what I’m thinking about doing, but I may post these ideas for the class as well, as long as all of you are o.k. with that.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Ground plane elevation changes don’t take up horizontal space – raised floor, sunken floor. Ceilings, whethe tree canpy, vegetataed structure, or otherwise are good tools. Colors and texture change spaces, too.

These are some tools. I’m going to assume that you know why you are dividing the space and what those uses will be. Hopefully, you’ll have good judgement on which of the many ideas that will come at you will be beneficial for the particular experiences you want to create to go with the particular activities in those spaces.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register