Irrigation Submeter Specification?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums DETAILS & MATERIALS Irrigation Submeter Specification?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dustin Maxam, RLA
    Participant

Anyone have a good spec. for an irrigation Sub-meter?

Here is what the local ordinance (California) is requiring:

A separate submeter shall be located on the private side of the water system and is plumbed to measure all water that flows only through the irrigation system. This meter is to be used by the owner to monitor irrigation water use and will not be read by the City.

Needed for a Subdivision of Single Family Residences… Each house gets one. (5/8 or 1″ meter at POC)

Thanks!

toby
    Participant

Nanny state rule!    

I often wonder if those who make the rules such as this actually know what they are seeking to achieve. 

And a better question is how will the home owner know if the water used is appropriate or too much ?  

Are you, the RLA, going to tell them how much is enough based on MAWA, or will you rely on an algorithm in the smart controller to decide for you ?  Or worse, is the homeowner supposed to go watch the use after each station run and determine the time up and down ?  

Water meters are not the way to monitor use in small scale applications.

While probably out of your control, a way better option is to use a flow sensor to monitor use and flow rates attached to a smart controller that can use real-time local weather data to establish the ETo rates for the day.

The easiest solution for the submeter however is to use the ordinance for your spec.

BTW, what city is this for?

Tyson Carroll
    Participant

Is water provided by the city or a private utility company? You will have to spec whatever they require for an additional service. Contractor will have to install it per there standards. Indicate on the irrigation plans the size that is required and refer to city or private utility company’s standards and specs for installation. 

Dustin Maxam, RLA
    Participant

Thanks for the help/ comments!  Here is the product spec I ended up using:

1″ IRRIGATION SUB-METER:

NETAFIM WM-100-1.0-RS-M
    (DISPLAY IN GALLONS FOR HOME OWNER)
    INSTALL IN (1) #1419 CARSON BOX W/ LID

Dustin Maxam, RLA
    Participant

Toby – I totally agree with your comments.  This was for Santa Rosa, CA  – I believe the Sub-Meter is a way of not requiring a separate City Meter for Irrigation.  California’s Model Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance AB 1881 only recommends (§ 492.7) dedicated meters for landscapes smaller than 5,000 square feet – so this must be the city’s attempt to comply w/ the recommendation?

toby
    Participant

§ 492.7  Irrigation Design Plan “…(A) Dedicated landscape water meters are highly recommended on landscape areas smaller than 5,000…”

The word ‘recommended’ is not absolute.

Smart controllers (B) and flow sensors (G) are required.

I’d skip the meter in your specs.  At worst the city will tell you to include, but you can argue over the definition of a word that is suggestive.

http://www.water.ca.gov/wateruseefficiency/docs/MWELO09-10-09.pdf  pages 13 and 14

Dustin Maxam, RLA
    Participant

Yeah, thanks.  It was the City plan check that required it in the first place… Local ordinance is stricter that state model.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register