IS IT TIME FOR A MASTERS?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Judith Mercado
    Participant

Hey guys! I’ve been thinking about returning to school and getting my masters. I’m a recent graduate in Landscape Architecture with two minors in GIS and Entrepreneurship and small business management. Throughout my career I got involved more with GIS and starting leaning more into the planning phase of design. UCI offers a Master’s of Urban and Regional Planning  and a Dual degree, M.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering/Master of Urban and Regional Planning has anyone completed these programs or is in it? Any advice?

Judith Mercado
    Participant

Hey Michele,

Thanks for the advice. I currently work for a company called ArborPro which is very similar to ArcGIS. It’s a software that helps you manage the urban forest. GIS is what made me want to pursue a masters in Urban planning. Having had my BSLA in Landscape Architecture and have had completed a masters in Urban Planning would only further my knowledge on how to design a functional yet environmentally sound design.  The ArborPro software currently only manages trees and utilities such as electricity, sewer mains, and landscape features. We hope that in the near future we can expand the software so that it may manage all aspects of the urban forest, further allowing urban planners the opportunity to asses accurately the need for proper design. I think I’m going to opt to take that dual Masters in Civil Engineering in Urban Planning. One because you might as well kill two birds with one stone and well two I had originally started my undergrad in Civil Engineering so I do have some knowledge in the field as well. What year are you in your program and how do you like it so far? I’m also thinking about becoming certified as an arborist.

Katherine Jacobs
    Participant

I am finishing my MLA this year. While I deeply value everything I have gained from my education, I do wonder if I might have been able to pursue an equally satisfying career in a similar field that has more funding available for graduate students. If your disposition is amenable to linear thinking, I encourage you to explore some of the sciences that are related to LA, or perhaps business. You would be an asset to the field as an expert in a related field with a sympathy to and background in LA.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register