Is LEED AP BD+C valued in landarch firms?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE Is LEED AP BD+C valued in landarch firms?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Suzan Hampton
    Participant

I graduated with an M.Arch and have been practicing architectural design for three years. However, I started my studies in landscape architecture (my true passion, with urban design) and want to move back into it instead of continuing in architecture.

I have the LEED AP BD+C, focused on building construction. I have to decide whether to re-up the credential by paying $400 and doing 30 hours of coursework by March 30, but am on the fence due to my changing priorities. I would just go ahead and do it but time is a huge issue.

Is the LEED AP BD+C of any value whatsoever in the landscape architecture world? Would having it help me land a junior LA position? Or should I not put any more time and money into it and go for the LEED ND later on?

Thanks for your help,

Suzan

If you are looking to work in a Landscape Architecture only firm, I would say it is not important to them. However, having a specific credential can only add to your resume’ and give a firm a bigger picture of who you are and your ablitlities. Having those credentials would probalby be more valued at a Multi disciplinary firm. Too bad the cost is so high, but I would maintain it if it was me.

Suzan Hampton
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback-much appreciated. I agree w/the overall value of maintaining it, just time/$ are the real issues. Will see what others say. Thanks again.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

The fact that you had it is proof that you had the qualifications.

Suzan Hampton
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

BD+C is fine, as it has a landscape component with the WE credits and many of the concepts of ND are already there. If you want to get ahead and go into an LA firm, familiarize yourself with the Sustainable Sites Initiative, which is like LEED for site work. There is no exam, and the download is free.

I have BD+C and don’t feel the need to go back for ND just yet. I don’t think it is refined enough in its current form. For the type of work I do, ND is not really applicable, but BD+C is.

Suzan Hampton
    Participant

Thank you, Jason-that’s very helpful!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register