Landscape Ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kameron
    Participant

I am working on a backyard project with a budget of 1000 and i need ideas incorperating NW native plants to the site . Also working with the idea of the yard with use of dogs. The idea of the design is modern contemperary.

nca
    Participant

$1000 is your construction budget?

You’ll have to be real creative and employ some adaptive re-use on that budget. You could easily expend that budget on plants alone for even a small backyard. So that might be where I would focus. Try to focus on the fundamentals using plants-privacy, viewframing, color, texture, scent, shade and shelter, etc.. Things like stone and heavier construction materials are proably going to be out unless you can find stuff to reuse.

Also, dirt is really cheap and relatively easy to push around. Buy as many plants as you can and save a little to rent a skid steer and start pushing dirt. Just make sure you dont grade the drainage into the house. You’ll learn a lot about grading behind the controls of a skid steer or dingo.

Trace One
    Participant

I would spend the money on seeds and fencing and soil improvement behind the fences..Dogs and plants do not go together..My landlady had a successfu plant/animal garden because she had fenced off all her plants with salvaged wrought iron fencing, about 2-3′ h igh, and all that could be accessed by the dogs were paths through the garden, with the overgrown plants creating really exciting spaces – the whole effect was very romantic, and def. kept dogs out of plants..

I dont’ think you have enough money for plants and fencing, so I would get the circulation down, make it interesting, or make places to go (even in a really small space) and work on separating dogs from plants, with most of your money, as well as improving the soil so the teeny plants you can afford will take..

just my 2cents!

nca
    Participant

a thousand bucks might pay for fence materials.

how big is the site? is there a fence? we need more information.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Here’s a good quick read on dogs and landscaping: http://landscaping.about.com/od/lawns/a/dog_landscaping.htm . With your budget, I doubt you can do everything they say (hardscaping is probably out of the question, for example).
    I think we need more info, like Nick said. What’s the existing site like?

kameron
    Participant

So i got a good deal on fencing 350$, decided to incorporate pebbles and grass . the space is about 30 by 15 ft. Re using Plants while incorporating more , trying to have water feature with 10 by 10 pergola feature provided by owner. But how can i add heights to the yard with water and building feature ? should I have retain walls ? because the hill gradually slopes to add a level effect. I would say i get off lucky on this project so far, weird budget and proposal.

nca
    Participant

I stand corrected, what kind of fence are you building?

A few pictures of the yard would really help.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

I’m still having trouble envisioning this, too. Could you use berms to add height instead of a retaining wall?

nca
    Participant

I’m assuming you’re also working for free, no?

kameron
    Participant

i believe the pace might be to small but i have considered it

kameron
    Participant

no i get 750 pay small project i guess reasonable are you working on any projects recently ?

nca
    Participant

No. Just this: http://www.nickaceto.com

Doesn’t that fence pretty much blow your budget then?

kameron
    Participant

small wooden frame fence with corrugated metal

kameron
    Participant

kameron
    Participant

Yes of coarse , the existing site is literally rectangular chunk with slight hill the are absolutely no landscape features just dirt and patio newly built house in subdivision.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register