Landscape Management of public land

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PLACES & SPACES Landscape Management of public land

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tony Harris
    Participant

Hi

Need some examples of new cost effective ways of managing public open space such as highway verges, countryside sites and amenity areas. We are trying  to do our bit here in Dorset but welcome others.

Thanks

Tony

toby
    Participant

Is austerity an issue ?  If so, you’re going to run up against entrenched aesthetics should you decide to let an area return to nature (abandon).  

And likely, the trial policy that allows this new maintenance method will be revisited should the politicians begin receiving complaints from the public about how everything is now a disgrace.

I know this as I work for a state transportation dept.

Please give a one or two more detailed examples of the problem, along the current maintenance methods.  Also, add a google maps/earth .kml to your message so we all can explore your management area.

Tony Harris
    Participant

Hi Toby

Thanks for your interest and yes how we manage public perception is a key issue. One detailed example is the fact there is now little revenue for ongoing grass cutting in the county such as on highway verges which do need cutting especially on visibility sight lines. We are running some experiments with semi parasitic wildflowers which we hope will reduce the fertility of the grasses and add some biodiversity benefits. We are also hoping the find funds to trial topsoil removal down to mineral subsoil/rock. The area we cover is the whole of the county of Dorset. The link below goes to our interactive map of the county which I hope helps give you an idea of our area.

Regards 

http://mapping.dorsetforyou.com/landscape/map?layers=511   

toby
    Participant

Funny thing about money.  The politicians have it for things they want, but never seem interested in continuing the funding for things already bought.  New = sexy.

The trial to remove topsoil should be interesting.  You may find an increase in erosion at the edges of the removal area brings about a different type of maintenance work that ultimately has no cost savings.

Has tilling the edges been considered?  A roller followup would be necessary, but the vegetation regrowth would be slowed considerably.  Erosion would also need to be monitored.

Herbicide use would just be a shift in costs from labor, but with the added benefit of public ire !!

Roadside maintenance is always difficult since safety of the traveling public is number one.  Maybe you could engrave it on a hammer and present it to those instituting the cuts.

Barbara Peterson
    Participant

Sheep or goats?

Tony Harris
    Participant

Barbara

Yes very interesting idea and a great way to ‘eat the view’ if we add in the benefits of supporting local food markets and understanding where our food comes from.

Thanks

Tony Harris
    Participant

Like the idea in the last sentence…this would be very tempting sometimes!!

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

Police headquarters at Bievres (Essonne), near Paris, use goats rather than hippies to chew their grass. Following article is in french, but I’m sure you can find similar practices info in english through a quick search.

http://www.20minutes.fr/planete/766104-prefecture-police-paris-empl…

Here, video of 4 sheep arriving to rule their new 2,000sqm turf, in Paris as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MS83lzLuA8

They say they will extend this scheme to other areas as well, but do not give further details.

I’m sure England has plenty of similar experiences as well, could be more seductive to convince your folks back home…

Tony Harris
    Participant

Great to see other people in Europe trying this out and this will encourage me in my efforts to persuade the decision makers

Thanks 

Henry Fenby-Taylor
    Participant

Incredible Edible. Giving ownership to local enthusiasts. Provides a bunch of benefits.

http://incredibleediblenetwork.org.uk/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register