Landscape Narratives

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jamie Metcalfe
    Participant

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone out there would know any good examples of landscape narratives that have been developed?

I am studying in gloucestershire and have not been able to experience a lot of sites first hand. I am currently writing a study on landscape narratives and I am looking for some good examples.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jamie

Trace One
    Participant

what the heck is a landscape narrative?

Chris Whitted
    Participant

I’m surprised you haven’t heard the term before Trace – I remember it from school in the late 90’s and still see it used rather frequently.  Basically it’s a/the story that is either told by the landscape or experienced by a user.  At its most literal, think interpretive walks or parks with timelines etched into the pavers.  On a more abstract level one could look at the layout of a pioneer farmstead – things were placed where they were for a reason, and those reasons tell the story of how people lived there.  For the experience side, a designer could have in mind a series of experiences approaching a hedge maze, finding one’s way through it, and discovering a hidden garden at its center.

Jamie, it might help if you could be a little more specific in what you’re looking for, as every landscape tells a story.  Are you looking for written, documented narratives about particular landscapes, or examples of the more literal parks designed to tell a story kind of thing?  No specifics come to mind off the top of my head, but I do recall numerous examples profiled in Landscape Architecture Magazine; both literal and more abstract.

Jamie Metcalfe
    Participant

Thanks Chris you have explained it really well.

Yeah I was basically looking for written documented narratives. The main ones I have been thinking about are memorial sites. Peter Walkers design for ground zero NYC would be a good example of this. But I want to expand on this and havent found that many good examples of my own.

Thanks again Chris

Jamie

Trace One
    Participant

It sounds like what we called, when I was in school (graduated in 1987, Chris,perhaps pre-date this verbiage fashion..), “Reading Landscapes” the whole process taken from the book “Reading the Landscapes of America” by May Theilgard Watts..Great book..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register