landscape or garden?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    william martin
    Participant
    Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Garden Design is the design of a garden, a garden is grown for the display or use of plants. Where a landscape is the broad surface that makes up our world, earth view/shape. So a landscape is a place where a garden as well as everything else that makes up the built world can happen. No one ever says I am having a landscape party, they say garden party. Since a garden is a defined place in the landscape. In the same way, in the architecture world there are kitchen designers, but this is not the whole building, just a small portion or subset of the building.

Websters Dictionary

Garden – a plot of ground where herbs, fruits, flowers, or vegetables are cultivated.

Landscape – the landforms of a region in the aggregate.

Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

There is a realm I think parallels this question, and it is painting. I definitely get a “grand view” image …whether it is Italian or Californian doesn’t matter, but a big scenic view with castles, gorges, mountains etc. in mind (even oriental sketch style) if you say there is a “landscape painting” exhibition, just as I would think waves and ships if you said “seascape painting.”  I don’t think of a small flowery scene, even bigger than a bowl of fruit on a table, as a “landscape painting” quite so much…and I sure wouldn’t call an Ansel Adams photo a “garden photo.” Gardens imply the hand of man somewhat more, but we recognize pond gardens like Monet’s or others who attempt to emulate nature.

I think it’s not just monumental scale but also recognition of more powerful human and environmental forces implied (as acting on the subject if natural or resolved by design of a site) with the term landscape. Strange thing for me to say as much as you have to worry about droughts and bugs in a garden! Fortunately both can be modified by adding specifics such as a “historic,” “neglected,” “tropical,” “urban,” etc.  

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Now in my yard I am a gardener and I design small portions of my yards separate gardens. I also have been paid to build and design other peoples gardens as part of my job as a Landscape Architect. This does not make me a garden designer it makes me a Landscape Architect that has designed gardens as a subset of the landscape.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

A garden designer is a gardener that thought it might be fun to throw designer on the end. Even though they may or may not have been educated in design. So often they put together a assemblage of plants in a cool looking way. We as LAs would look at the plants as a part of a whole landscape and create something using the design principals first then appropriate plants next. It is all about emphasis.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

Touche’ – Though it does raise the question: Could one have a garden within the landscape that is within the garden that’s within the landscape?

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

Darn. So, Landscape equals garden plus or minus landscape to the negative first degree. Landscapes within the garden shall not exceed a single negative deviation in scale. Gardens can expand infinitely within the landscape but the landscape can only contract by one degree within the garden. The landscape may not shrink exponentially within the garden.

william martin
    Participant

jordan, i think you might find many trained garden designers use ‘design principles’ before choosing plantlife too.

william martin
    Participant

leslie..fair enough but a lot of LA displays ‘mechanics’ over ‘landscape’..often with outdated ‘idea’s’ from the fine arts arena ..Is fine art a component of LA training?

william martin
    Participant

Thanks all for your input..there are many interpretations to be had, some better than others Last but not least..When one visits a public garden one might say “I am going to #### garden.” Does one say if entering a LA area “I am going to #### landscape”?

william martin
    Participant

Mmmm Lets take a LA design for around an office block downtown…where does the landscape begin and end?

william martin
    Participant

would like to hear what you have to say about the question posed.

Is this a Q for me Henry?

william martin
    Participant

Grand statement..to what are you referring?

william martin
    Participant

Woops I get it!

william martin
    Participant

Henry, I am not a LA and it was a Q out of curiosity as to how LAs view their work . many folk regard (maybe more so older generations) LA work as NOT garden despite the use of plants.

Perhaps LA designed public spaces are indeed gardens of OUR time with a new moniker?

I read somewhere that LD was more something to be viewed from a distance rather than the notion that ‘garden’ is something to be immersed in.?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register