landscape or garden?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    william martin
    Participant

Whats the difference?

garden is a smaller space, very intended for specific recipients. The landscape must be universal so that everyone feels all right in it.

william martin
    Participant

ah but gardens can be quite large and for the public?

william martin
    Participant

Often large parklike private gardens were named ‘landscapes’

william martin
    Participant

Is not exterior designer a more appropriate name for L.A.?

Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

I understand that the British tend to call an entire residential property a “garden,” and American speech tends towards the use of “garden” for a specific area within even a residential property…ie. herb garden, flower garden, vegetable garden etc. Someone else comment if I’m mistaken.

But this might explain why LA was chosen as the name of the field. There are excellent garden designers who just aren’t geared to large public spaces, even something like an arboretum that might mainly feature plantings. And in the US  maybe we just tend to think less of gardening as a primary purpose even in the private realm since we use such areas for recreation, pools, pet runs, etc. Hence in terms of marketing LA is a better term to associate with and get work on a parallel plane to architects, who also may design residences but don’t call themselves “floor planners” in order to show their upper reach into more complex projects. 

It may be unfortunate, but I’m willing to bet that a multi skilled team going after a big transportation, trails, new campus, brownfield in-fill project, etc. would be more likely to consider and also to advertise having a LA on board than a garden designer, although the final plans may include spots that are garden-like.

In other words, some of the difference in use of terms may be cultural, some a reflection of expectations and training (more site engineering insight etc. with LA’s). The “exterior designer” idea may not be bad except I wonder if people would hear it as “facade” of buildings and not the resource base at the foundation of it all. 

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

Scale.  Approach.  Client.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

If you design gardens, then perhaps.  If you are doing a large scale campus for example with a lot of complex grading and drainage with retaining walls, signage and tons of corresponding details… it is a gross undersell.

william martin
    Participant

Jon, Mmm as you probably are aware (at least from AU) L.A.s are often considered the last profession qualified to deal with plantlife….Even qualified garden designers are becoming (and often admit) plant weak. Your comment suggests that perhaps L.A.s are more L. Engineers?

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

A garden can be in the landscape but the landscape is not in the garden.

william martin
    Participant

Leslie, an excellent answer. The word ‘garden’ according to English writer Tim Richardson has become almost a ‘dirty’ word..or words to that effect.. Is the ‘highline’ a garden or Landscape architecture with embellishments by a plantsman/artist (Oudolf)?

william martin
    Participant

So where does the landscape sit?

william martin
    Participant

L.A.s seemed to be called in for even quite small spaces..what makes an LA approach different to a Garden designer?

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

I have often designed things that have to be approved by an engineer, as many LA’s have, which means we need to be aware and knowledgeable about such things.  I work for a firm that is engineering heavy, so our designs tend to be skewed in that direction.  Engineers are a breed all their own.  However what separates us from engineers is a softer eye, as I think engineers tend to over design–sometimes that is an understatement, and in general the aesthetic quality of something designed by an engineer most typically does not compare nor compete with something designed by a Landscape Architect.  Most civil engineers I know cannot hold a candle to a competent LA in the creation of space that makes one want to linger there.

As far as plant life is concerned, yeah, admittedly most LA’s aren’t very strong in this area, but that could be said for many sub-sects of the profession.  There are some whom are very good with graphics, others whom are very good with project management, and others whom are excellent with plants, some whom are decent at all but we are the jack of all trades and masters at none.  I myself feel extremely comfortable dealing with plants that are woody in nature, but not so much at perennials. 

If you want to become proficient in any are on any subject, all it takes is cracking a book and reading.  We are limited only by time and sufficient motivation.

william martin
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register