LEED professional credentials

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums STORY BOARD LEED professional credentials

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Loh
    Participant

Is it possible for LA to acquire LEED professional credentials while working in overseas? Anyone can advise?

Benjamin Loh
    Participant

thanks Henry. So it doesn’t require one to be physically practicing in US. That’s great.  

Benjamin Loh
    Participant

lol… certainly, I agree with you. I get what you mean. Ultimately it’s the attitude than credentials. The problem I have now is getting myself hired and often employers only looking for credentials. Sad.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Not entirely true, Henry. While not a huge priority among LAs, LEED can be a great asset to have on your resume. It not only is relevant to architects, but to PEs, MEP engineers, and yes, LAs. At the VERY least, LAs should know what it is comprised of and how they fit into the puzzle. Not every LA practice will need to have a LEED-AP, but many do.

The sections that LAs deal with not only have to do with the obvious water efficiency credits with regards to landscape, but also a great deal of site planning and selection, green roofs, permeability and runoff of the site.

While SSI is also important, LEED has a lot more sway and is more relevant in practice. More developers know what LEED is, and almost none have heard of SSI.

Benjamin, the big issue with becoming a LEED-AP will be trying to find a testing center where you can take the exam. It is not an online thing, and the tests are only given through a company called Prometric. Here is the GBCIs page to find a testing center:

https://securereg3.prometric.com/Dispatch.aspx

In the scheme of things, LEED is actually pretty cheap to get and maintain compared to an LA license and many of the other ratings out there, and they make it really easy to keep your CEUs up to date…and for FREE! I haven’t spent a dime or vast amounts of time maintaining the credential since I got it. I’d go for it if you don’t need to get a license first. I’ve been a LEED-AP BD+C since 2009 and plan on eventually going for a ND credential, and it has helped get interviews.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Yes, and it has been a contributing factor in getting employment interviews as well.

BD+C is building design and construction…the most common rating type, and ND is the new neighborhood development rating system, with is more of a planning thing. And sincs many LAs do a lot of planning, it would probably be the one to get.

Benjamin Loh
    Participant

Thanks Jason for your advice. I will in touch with you when I am ready for LEED. Cheers!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register