Looking for a vine for dry shade

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Greetings.

For a SoCal client, I’ve found very few options for a vine that will grow on a wall, in the shade. Complicating it is that it’s inside the drip ring of an oak. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Poison ivy?

Kidding.

Does Virginia creeper grow there? I think that does well in dry shade.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Haha… 🙂

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Great question.  Here are a couple that I have used in dry shade around oaks:

Ficus pumila (Creeping Fig)

Creeping Fig does well in sun or part shade and takes little irrigation (depending on where you live).  It can cling to walls and does not need any support.  Though, you should keep it pruned back.  I have seen it become top heavy and pull off of large parking structure.  If you want to play off of the oak leaf, there is a variety quercifolia.

Hardenbergia violacea (Lilac Vine)

This is an Australian native that does well in dryish shade.  It seems to bloom all the time, but it needs a support structure to grow.  If the wall has not been built yet, perhaps something like greenscreen would work for your application?

You could also try Parthenocissus tricuspidata (Boston Ivy) and Lonicera japonica (Honeysuckle).  Both do well in SoCal I believe.

I hope this helps!

toby
    Participant

The ficus will grow in the shade, but it roots into any surface of whatever its growing on.  

And having had to maintain both of those vines during a previous life, I can say they both require constant pruning at 2 years on, and will look horrible for quite a while if it is let go too long to then be cut back.  

Have you considered wire vine ? https://www.google.com/search?q=wire+vine&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9-x3UbXCGsGfiQLIl4HYDQ&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1567&bih=964  Like T.jasminoides, it will need support.

Many thanks Roland, Andrew, Toby and David for your ideas. Quickly researching now. Best, Jeff

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Glad to help!  Let us know how it goes… 

Mark Di Lucido
    Participant

Ficus pumila. Certainly does well on east-facing walls and I’ve seen it on north-facing wall too in USDA zone 9. This evergreen has attractive juvenile leaves which belie its eventual aggresiveness

Sam Bennett
    Participant

Trachelospermum jasminoides- Star Jasmine. 

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

I don’t know if this is available/suitable to your area :

Trachelospermum asiaticum

Jasmine smell, grows in shade, use as groundcover or climber. Trim if you’re not after ‘natural’ look

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register