Marketing yourself for employment.

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums STORY BOARD Marketing yourself for employment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey everybody!

If you cannot find work and you are going to have to move to be employed, how can you market yourself for out of state jobs?

Thanks!

Stefano Ascari
    Participant

I’d like to know this as well. So far I’ve just been  cold emailing firms with digital portfolios. What are your thoughts so far? 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Stefano,

I have been making the trip to other regions to local design organizations and ASLA type events. Its been great for networking in that region but its not helping my employment situation. I have also found it difficult to show out of state firms your interest in their firm. I guess I will have to move to a larger city without a job and try out that market. 

I have also been cold emailing with digital Cover Page/Resume/Portfolio. I feel like that is the best way? If I cannot make the trip to that firm the only other option is calling, which will most likely end with a “No” or “We are not hiring” Cold emailing will allow the potential employer to see your work.

Thoughts?

Bennett

Tosh K
    Participant

Have a full digital portfolio (ISSUU or similar) online for viewing.  I would also send out hard copy cover letter (where you can highlight your interest in the area as well as the firm), CV and work samples (3~5 pages max).

It’s best if you can make a trip out and hit a bunch of firms for informational interviews; if you can afford to visit friends or family (which will also demonstrate you have potential ties there that will interest you in moving).  Networking will also help, alumni networks are invaluable as well.

For larger firms, online networking via LinkedIn, etc may help, though that’s more of a long shot.  Then, of course, there’s the winning international competitions angle…

In my experience, a lot of firms will be happy to show you around (but not necessarily job interviews) if you have some network there.  And most are interested to hear why you want to move there (mentioning how you like visiting friends/family can lead to the “so are you thinking of moving here?” question)

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

move your butt on Linked-In, make a website/blog/FB, update your profiles everywhere, register to relevant job boards and set your alerts for all these websites. Now, you control everything from your email.

Make sure you display experience relevant to the region you aim for.

+ what Tosh said.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register