Masters of Urban Design Program Recommendation

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Masters of Urban Design Program Recommendation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Guys!

Any recommendations for a MUD program? Of my research it looks like some are 1 year and some are 2 years. The curriculum of these programs look very different. Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

Sami Bronowski
    Participant

I am finishing up the MUD program at Ball State University.  It is run in downtown Indianapolis.  It’s a year-long program, August-July.  We run it through our College of Architecture and Planning, so you will have exposure to architecture, planning, and landscape architecture professors.  It balances pushing creativity with what could happen in the real world.  You will work with a real-life scenario and participate in a couple charrettes along the way.  We worked with Kent State and Lawrence Tech for a charrette this past year.  I love the program and Indianapolis.  The downtown has received numerable high marks over the past couple years.  We just got a bikeshare (already have the largest downtown bike trail) and an electric car share program.  Lots to do as far as entertainment — arts, culture, food, sports, recreation.  And hoping to find out Thursday that we will be hosting the Super Bowl again in 2018.  Let me know if you have any questions about the program!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great! That is helpful Sami! I have been to the main campus at Ball State when I was touring planning schools and I loved the integration of Arch, LA, and Planning. 

Tosh K
    Participant

You may want to enlighten us on why you want to do one / what you would like to do with one.  There are a wide range of programs, each with pros/cons that will prepare you for different trajectories.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tosh,

I am interested in Land Planning and Urban Design type projects. I have researched these type of projects and the type of firms and professionals that created them. Generally these professionals have backgrounds in LA/Arch with Urban Planning or Urban Design degrees.

I want to work in Landscape Architecture/Urban Design/Planning type firm. So I am thinking being educated in LA, Urban Design, and Planning would behoove me in my job search.

I am in Urban Planning graduate school now. My work background and degree is in Landscape Architecture (BLA). Since most MUD programs are one year I can go ahead and knock that out while I am still able to. I believe that would put me in a good place when I get into the job market.

What are your thoughts Tosh?

Tosh K
    Participant

I would think work experience trumps the MUD, especially since you already have a BLA and (soon) MUP, there’s a point when paper (diplomas) has diminishing returns.  Short of heading straight into academia, I’m not convinced another degree is the right path, unless the specific firms are heavy on alumni from particular programs.  It’s been my impression (and no offense to anyone) that MUD degrees are watered down hybrids of MArch/MUP that address general ideas but don’t go into depth (but can supplement those degrees IF you have a very discreet interest you want to explore academically). 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Tosh and Marie! Great advice!

-Bennett

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register