MLA I Programs’ Pros, Cons, “Personalities”

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION MLA I Programs’ Pros, Cons, “Personalities”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    unjLTV
    Participant

Hi Land8!

I am a B.Arch grad with a couple years full time experience in an arch firm now set on pursuing a Landscape Architecture career instead of Architecture. I will be applying to MLA I AP programs this winter for Fall 2014 enrollment and would like to ask the community here for some input on pros, cons, idiosyncrasies, etc of the following programs, which are listed in diminishing order of my interest in them at this point.

Penn

UVa

Cornell

GSD

VTech

Berkeley

Toronto

RISD

I understand pros/cons/specialties largely depend on what I myself am looking for in a program, but in order to keep this first post concise I won’t write that out unless prompted.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Hey @unjLTV

Great topic!  Planetizen just created a definitive online directory of Urban Design programs.  You can also filter by Landscape Architecture program, as well.  Check it out here: http://www.planetizen.com/schools

Though, you are really looking for an inside perspective, right?  Looking forward to hearing what Land8ers think… 🙂

Hope the directory, at least, helps you expand your search!

-Andrew

Hello;

While I have no doubts that ALL of the Masters of Landscape Architecture Programs at the University on your short list are outstanding programs…..the one University I found to be RANKED #! for the past (9) years is….HARVARD.

I believe you very wise for picking up a couple of years of professional Landscape Architectural Design experience prior to pursuing your MLA degree.

I very well could be wrong about this, this is just my opinion, but, I believe that having an MLA from HARVARD on your resume would open a lot more doors for you (after you graduate) than most other schools might.

Good Luck with which ever University you choose.

Regards,

Bob

unjLTV
    Participant

Thanks Andrew,

I am indeed looking for insight from grads of the above schools or people who have some contact with the programs. Are you by any chance familiar with any of them?

I checked out the planetizen link and the LA filter only yields Auburn for some reason. The ASLA schools map is an easy database to navigate, though: http://www.asla.org/schools.aspx

I’m looking at schools in the northeast and ones in other regions that have good alum bases in the northeast. Are you looking at UD programs currently?

unjLTV
    Participant

Thanks for the response, Robert!

I’ve looked at the DI rankings for MLA schools and certain trends do emerge, like you mentioned. I’m looking for some Land8ers to chime in about their alma maters if those appear on this list and give an insider’s opinion. Things I can’t get from online materials or the schools’ recruiting (read: marketing) departments are very valuable. Or if I am missing great programs that could help in finding LA work in the northeast, their alums could comment.

Small note: I’ve been working in architecture, not landscape architecture since graduation, but several sources indicate that NCARB experience can qualify toward ASLA licensing in most states.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

In that case, you may also want to check out Conway School of Design in Mass… http://www.csld.edu/  Heard many good things about the program.  

Blair LeJeune
    Participant

Have you looked into Louisiana State University. I am currently a 4th year undergrad and have loved it here. Our programs both undergrad and grad are very well respected and a top 5 program year after year. We have  an extensive amount alumni, and all of our professors come from Cornell, Berkley, GSD, VTech. Travels abroad are also an integral and attractive feature as well as a considerably lower price tag than those mentioned above. 

unjLTV
    Participant

I’ve been looking more closely at programs and have replaced Toronto and RISD with LSU and UGa on the list. Do you know about your program’s network strength or alum base in the Northeast?

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Here’s a new online resource for searching school accreditation that might be of use… http://www.accreditedonlinecolleges.org/Regional-Accreditation/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register