My Resume…Your Thoughts and Musings

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION My Resume…Your Thoughts and Musings

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jarrod D. Lee
    Participant

Thanks for the reminder about address and phone number.  I’m just so used to making sure that it is always there.

Earthbound Visual Object Prophet is just a play on Landscape Architect.  Too many people getting fussy.  I’m pretty sure that I won’t leave it on my resume.  I just refuse to call myself a Landscape Designer.  I have nothing against Landscape Designers, I just didn’t spend all that time and money to go through a professional program of Landscape Architecture to call myself a designer.

I do think Architect of the Landscape is rather catchy though.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

Earthbound Visual Object Prophet is pretty funny, though if it stay’s on the resume find a synonym for prophet so that employers dont’ get the impression that you think you’re the second coming…

I just refuse to call myself a Landscape Designer.  I have nothing against Landscape Designers, I just didn’t spend all that time and money to go through a professional program of Landscape Architecture to call myself a designer.

I got eviscerated for similar logic in another thread.  I don’t mind the title when speaking to those in the field, because they know what it is and what it means.  Everyone else on the planet doesn’t and it gets annoying having to explain that I don’t cut lawns.

Jarrod D. Lee
    Participant

Please drop the “bud” crap, unless you are using the term metaphorically, like, “one who will soon produce the fruits of his education and training and provide the nourishment for continued growth of Landscape Architecture.”

SUCCINCTLY I will answer the question like this…By definition of TERMS I am a Landscape Architect. By definition of LAW, I am not a Landscape Architect.  In all likelyhood this would lead to further discussion, therefore providing more face-time with a potentional employer.  For symantics see post “What To Call Yourself or I Like Poking Sleeping Bears” 

This post is not for this discussion though. It has been posted to discuss mainly format of my resume. Furthermore, why would you need to point out that the fictional interviewer is an RLA when the moniker LA can only be used by one who is registered?

Jarrod D. Lee
    Participant

OK…posted a revised resume FORMAT.  I removed Landscape Architect so that we can stay on task.

Heather Smith
    Participant

I agree with this sentiment.

Why does the employer have a swollen head? And don’t forget this is a public forum, if I was a potential boss and had run across you here I would definitely be forming an opinion of you with or without reading your resume.

Your educational bona fides will tell them everything they need to know about your training and potential. Many firms don’t call their designers landscape designers anyway…landscape architect in training is one title…what were the actual job titles?

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

Here is mine (not up to date).  I like this format quite a bit, it has worked for me.  I feel as though it exudes my personality in a subtle way.  The sketch is from my sketchbook (it is mirrored on my cover letter to tie it together), and handwritten font is actually I truetype font I made of my own handwriting, and so on.

If I had professional accreditation & special training (such as LEED and so on), I’d put it above the education on the left column, but as my list grows that is where I will place it.

Jarrod D. Lee
    Participant

Swollen head referred to some that I have worked with before.  Some firms like robots, others like those that can think for themselves.  That’s quite alright if an opinion is formed about my manner of thought through my postings.  It provides the potential for those looking for robots to look elsewhere.

A resume is about what makes one qualified to perform the tasks of a particular profession.  That is clearly evident by most of the postings in this thread so far.

Jarrod D. Lee
    Participant

Format, not content.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jarrod I find it interesting that a guy that seems to have all the answers is asking for other people’s thoughts, observations, criticism…

These are mine. The world of landscape architecture is very small. The big bad dog isn’t the one doing all the yapping. Try to be an old shoe.

mauiBob
    Participant

nrschmid, You’re so passionate about marketing, resumes and portfolios as much as I am about the stock market and investments!! No wonder you are leaving the profession of landscape architecture/planning. I would too if I didn’t have such a secure and well paid position.

You give great advice…something I may be reluctant to do since I’m always thinking these guys might be my competition for a job someday! 

Jarrod D. Lee
    Participant

I find it very interesting that one would assume that I have the answers.  And furthermore, what in the WORLD does that have to do with my resume?

Anonymous
    Inactive

It has nothing to do with your resume, but does relate to finding a job. Landscape Architecture is a very small family. I just don’t think it’s wise to put all of your information out there considering you might be offending a potential employer that doesn’t want a staff of robots.

Businesses in the AEC industry are hanging on trying to survive. No one cares about your family or what you will or won’t stand for. This isn’t 2005. If an employer has to chose between a talented brash guy with o.k. experience that’s making demands or a mediocre guy with a long track record of getting the job done that’s going to be like wall paper, right now the employer would probably hire the wall paper guy. But to make things worse, currently the employer has his pick of experienced, extremely talented, highly motivated, great looking, personable landscape architects that went to the best schools. They can take their time and sort through super stars that will keep their mouths shut and crank out incredible work. No offense, but looking at your resume your not in the super star category, but neither am I. That’s not to say we can’t create magical places though.

I’m a person that has built a reputation on not taking crap from anyone. But I learned early in life that I don’t have to let the whole world know that I wasn’t a push over. It makes no sense drawing the line in the sand with a potential employer before you even get a second interview.

You can have the best resume in the world, but if a potential employer can’t picture you fitting into his/her system, you’ll be out in the cold every time.  

Heather Smith
    Participant

I agree with this sentiment. You don’t want to be a “robot”…start your own business. Then you can be your own boss. I understand the frustration with the economy, you have been unemployed for 8 months? I know people that have been unemployed for years…you are one out of hundreds perhaps thousands in our profession that would like a job. And I know some “superstars” that are unemployed…the stark reality is that the best you can do is take some of the better formatting advice that has been given…try to get your foot in the door and if getting a job is important…don’t mention your personal opinion too often.

If that isn’t what you want…work for yourself.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

He does have his own business. What he wants is an income.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register