Need design help for telescoping gate

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Need design help for telescoping gate

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steve Martino
    Participant

I have a contemporary residential project in Los Angeles that because of tight site conditions the only driveway gate that will work is a telescoping gate. The internet has not been any help. I found a company in Poland that could do it but the project is too small for them. Companies in Germany, India and Australia who claim they can build them haven’t returned my emails. These companies build clunky industrial strength gates; I’m looking for something extremely elegant with the operating system hidden from view. I prefer a company in LA to design and build the gate. The one LA Company who said they build telescoping gates said mine is unbuildable. If we can direct a robot on Mars to fire a laser at specific rocks, somebody can design a gate, so I am looking for a designer or company who can help me.

The problem is that the gate needs to be in 3 sections at 7’-6” wide x 8’ tall each, opening is 21’ wide. The 3 panels need to nest or stack side by side when gate is open. Code requires 1 foot/ second or slower speed. The motor needs to be on the side or underground, no room behind gate.

Client does not want to see any wheels on the gate, it needs to cantilever or possibly have a support and wheels underground like a SF trolley. The gate needs all the necessary safety electronics and operating system. My wish is that the gate panels are frosted glass or acrylic to match our other walls. Has anyone seen such a gate? I’m hoping to find an existing system rather than having to invent it.

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

Wow, that sounds like a killer gate. Unfortunately, I can’t help, but I do wish you luck, because if you can get it built, it will be amazing. Please post a pic when you find someone who is up to the challenge.

This might be a stretch but there is a company in Corta Madera, CA called NanaWall Systems (http://www.nanawall.com). Granted what they do is more for large architectural wall systems like big banks of folding windows, but maybe they can assist you with engineering something. Maybe you can assist them in designing and patenting a design. Instead of looking at your project as a gate maybe it should be viewed as a wall system. What ever the result would love to see a picture of the final product.

Steve Martino
    Participant

Russell, thanks for the response, i am hoping to find a gate company in LA that has experience w/ this type of gate, the gate design is sitting at the moment while we search for a company w/ this experience. if it comes down to having to invent the gate myself i will give you a call for some help. I’m nearby in Sunnyslope. this client expects the gate to do what i described even if we have to invent a new gate system.

Steve Martino
    Participant

thanks for the reply, these doors need a top and bottom rail. they are great doors one of my recent projects used them.

Boilerplater
    Participant

So was this the Aussie company? http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s2211221.htm

Seems like a good system.  What you’re talking about with a trolley system within a channel so the mechanics are concealed seems like the best option to me.  The leading section would pull the other leaves out or back in.  Are they saying it will not be adequately supported at the top and the section will get misaligned or bind?  I think you would also need a channel with rollers along the top rail, with some overlap between sections.

Steve Martino
    Participant

thank you, this is not the company that i saw. i will contact these people to see if they can make a wider 3 section gate. they seem to have a different mechanism than the other gate companies. i think i will need to find an inventor to make it. thanks again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register