[Over]parking

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    nca
    Participant

‘ I’m glad that we have various options to how we want to live.’

I agree. It’s the lack of true options thats the problem. I’m not sure if mass. is seeing as much rampant, out of control, disorganized growth as places like Colorado right now. Its the wild west here.

Sprawl isnt so bad on a block by block scale, if you like that pattern, but the problem lies in that its the same monotonous pattern. Three house models for over 1000 homes, garages closer to the street than the living space, huge lawns tha no one uses, but the dog, and 30′ wide boulevards that wind around and make you lost. Seriously, I got off I-25 the other day and couldnt find my way back to the highway after taking ten minutes to find a gas station (at costco where I had to beg the attendant for gas) even though I could see the highway. It took me twenty minutes and a lot of cul-de-sacs to escape.

nca
    Participant

Thats interesting about Charlotte Trace..

Trace One
    Participant

Mr. Radice: Now THAT sounds like Caltrans..I can believe that..The engineers do not know how to say no, only to modify so it might be slightly less dangerous, or move the bottlenecks down 200 feet or so..See recent hideous tragedy on the SF Bay Bridge- Caltrans loves to neck down very fast roads, with no apparent reason for the necking (to the driver), but to the engineer, in plan, he has told you to go 50 mph, not 80mph..I personally don’t see east coast highways with the same cognition problem and mean to bring it up – just looked at one last week..

Mr. Courtney, yes, no curbs! I forgot about that!! I think that is in BMP standards?

Mr. Aceto, in C-vill we costed each stall (I am unsure if you mean profit from stalls, or cost of construction, but all I know about is cost of construction) at $200. At UCSD, they costed them at $2,000 each..I kid you not, I do not know why the disparity..But similarly, in C-vill we bonded concrete sidewalks to City Standards at $75 a square foot, and in California it is more than quadruple that, I forget the exact number..

Perhaps you are wondering at how much value one space is expected to bring the retailer?

And Mr. courtney, you forgot – in my rammed earth house, I only eat fruit that has fallen on the ground (i NEVER pick it live off the tree) and only within fifty feet of my house..
    🙂

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I would not park there if I had to park in an 8′ stall.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

We have those rquirements in certain zoning areas on certain projects. They are not without problems. Most notably the invisible hole when they fill up in downpours that tend to find buicks and camrys in them (when they are not being pulled from the front window of CVS). They also are catch alls for debris.

Trace One
    Participant

How about a giant solar power collector, as well as a radio-transmitter aimed at broadcasting towards the Vulcan planet, so we can transplant their logic into our brains..
    “More Parking
    Is Better”

nca
    Participant

I think it was cost of construction-$3500 which includes the associated drive lane, curb and gutter and stall allocated in the budget to make that one stall work.

I’ve heard upward of $14,000 for structure parking/stall. Maybe there is an agenda there, I dont know.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register