OWS from the Chinese Perspective

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    landplanner
    Participant

Absolutely fascinating (and short) article from the LA Times about how the OWS movement first got

attention and media coverage here, until the national government realized the gulf of income inequality in their own country was far more deeper and wider, on a per-capita basis.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2011/10/beijing-grows-nervous-about-occupy-wall-street.html?source=patrick.net

ida
    Participant

It’s not as strict in China as one might think. I wonder what the North Koreans make of these protests.

landplanner
    Participant

Russell ….good to see you here and your comments, while dripping with sarcasm, are also relevant and real. Many of the Big Shot firms from the states are already here or have alliances with Chinese firms (essentially a front to look more “indigenous”) but that also can be said for the Brits and Aussies.

How are things going for you in AZ (do I have that right ?)

ida
    Participant

They block searches for sensitive words, but they don’t block websites (except for FB and Youtube). One can still get into Wikipedia, or many international news websites from within China. And most Chinese can read and write in English since it’s taught in school. If they really wanted to know something, it’s not that difficult to get the info online.

landplanner
    Participant

I now live and work in SW China so let me assure you there is outright blockage of certain well-known websites. The kind that were attributed to allowing for more widespread communication during a few of the Arab Spring uprisings earlier this year. Without a VPN workaround, one cannot commonly access YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Hulu, even Rolling Stone. I kid you not. Even Google got asked to leave China and now is situated in Hong Kong. If you do a Google search you get re-routed to Hong Kong.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register