Park with terraces: embankments

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Alessandro
    Participant

Hi

I am working on a project for a park with terraces in different levels
    I am thinking about what kind of embankments (for the terraces) to use, considering that some of them would be 4 meters high!
    The park will be in Italy, on a mountain, and i was thiking about making the embankments more green as possible, but not necessary completely.
    Any idea, please?
    Suggestions?
    Sorry for the bad english
    Thank you 🙂
    Ryan A. Waggoner
    Participant

If you are thinking green, what are the materials either on-site or very close to the site? Also, are there any materials that are readily available in the region that are recycled, either pre or post consumer? Are you looking for an innovative design, or something that is tried and true? How much influence do you have in the overall design? Where about in Italy are you designing this?

Rob Halpern
    Participant

There are many methods to do a planted wall or “green wall.” I have sometimes simply used prostrate (spreading on the ground) plants on the top of the wall to hang over and down the wall. But with a wall of that height you ought to consider how any green treatment will be efficiently maintained.

With a 4m embankment, I expect structure to be the first issue and form can follow.

John Gordon
    Participant

Alessandro: A company in Maryland USA has developed wall “stones” that are mostly hollow. Plantings in each “stone” then grow to create a (literally) green wall.

You can see these at http://www.furbishco.com. On the ‘Retaining Walls’ page, click on ‘FAQ’ and there are pictures of several installations. On that page they also say that the molds for the modules can be sent to a factory for local manufacturing of the modules. So they would not have to be shipped from the US.

I haven’t used these so I don’t have any personal acquaintance with the system. Good luck with the park!

Geoffrey Campbell
    Participant

Possibly the most cost-effective option would be a modular block wall with vines. However, at this height a modular block wall would probably need some sort of geo-grid reinforcing, and that could effect what is placed behing the wall. Otherwise, a cast-in-place wall with a decorative veneer could work with vines as well.
    The ‘plantable’ stones spoken about above are an interesting option as well, but at 12 meters reinforcing could get complicated with hollow stones and voids in the wall. Good luck

Alessandro
    Participant

I’m designing the park in a site near La Spezia, in Liguria (North West of Italy), on a small mountain.
    I don’t know exactly which materials, useful for the embankments, would be readily available near the site… maybe some rocks but the embankments are quite big so I don’t know if it could be a good idea (expecially for the cost)

Alessandro
    Participant

It is a good consideration, i’m trying to consider both, structure and form
    🙂

Alessandro
    Participant

Thank you Jhon! that is really interesting
    really cool site 🙂

Jimmy Dick
    Participant

the “stones” modules (http://www.smartslope.com) have holes in the bottom of the module, which a Maccaferri (Italian Co.) grid reinforcement is sewn through, which provides one of the strongest connections in the industry, for what that is worth. The extra excavation for the grid is costly, but necessary at that height. I am happy to help, if needed; after all my title is the “sales guy” for SS & Furbish Co. Peace.

Trace One
    Participant

I don’t know what Italy is like, but you would not be allowed to build retaining walls 4 meters high in Virginia. I think the highest allowed by building code is 8 ft.. This height would require stepping back, in 8ft. sections..

May have nothing to do with italy, also your project may be a school project.

But I’m just sayin’..couldn’t do it in virginia..

Jimmy Dick
    Participant

We start an installation in Vienna, Virginia in about two weeks, it is 10 feet tall with grid reinforcement and vegetated, just saying…

Trace One
    Participant

looked it up – I stand corrected – it is the height at which a building permit is required, that I am think ing of, Jim..which of course, residential builders don’t want to get permits, so avoid higher retaining walls..
    You right, I stand corrected..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register