Preventing graffiti on wood

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    CassieNichols
    Participant

We just built a nice overlook at our new ECO Center that looks over a river.  Within weeks of being constructed it was covered from floor to ceiling in graffiti – mostly pens, markers, and etchings in the wood (no spray paint, so far).  Does anyone know of a way to cover the wood surface in something that can not be written on or scratched through?  We don’t want to have paint each time the graffiti takes over the building.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

You can try this stuff for the pens and markers (and paint) but nothing will stop the etching and carving. Perhaps better lighting and a fake camera shell or two might prevent it. Or camp out there a few nights and surprise the culprits. Other than that, there is nothing you can do, kids today are disrespectful pigs (much worse than my generation).

http://www.ecologicalcoatings.com/graffiti.html

nca
    Participant

I can’t answer your original question, but I’m curious about the design and setting. Do you have any pictures you could share?

I’ve been to a lot of remote shelters and they’re almost always carved up. After a while it becomes part of the character. Although not a very constructive comment I think setting has a lot to do with it.

From Encyclopedia Britanica online:

form of visual communication, usually illegal, involving the unauthorized marking of public space by an individual or group. Although the common image of graffiti is a stylistic symbol or phrase spray-painted on a wall by a member of a street gang, some graffiti is not gang-related. Graffiti can be understood as antisocial behaviour performed in order to gain attention or as a form of thrill seeking, but it also can be understood as an expressive art form.

Has anyone seen this film yet? http://www.banksyfilm.com/ (Exit Through the Gift Shop)

nca
    Participant

I think there’s an interesting graffiti discussion looming here..

I may go as far as to hypothesize that the quality and style of the graffiti can be directly correlated to the quality of place.

CassieNichols
    Participant

Thanks for your input. I’m sure there’s some truth to your hypothesis. Unfortunately, we are not dealing with the colorful political graffiti murals like you might see in some places.

I’m from a small town in Georgia – there’s still so much tension between the whites, blacks and hispanics in this town. Most of the writing is racial or gang related. There are some graphic pictures – one of a man with a gun pointed to his head. I took a group of middle school students to the overlook while teaching them about our river system. Let’s just say they were way more interested in the graffiti.

I agree that graffiti can become part of the character of a place; it can be interesting and sometimes something beautiful to look at. But when the graffiti comes from bad intentions, it might be best to cover it up and try to prevent it.

nca
    Participant

I see. I guess living in Denver I get used to seeing a lot more of the former type of graffiti and and forget that there is a malicious contingent of that culture.

CassieNichols
    Participant

Unfortunately, we do not see a lot of the former type.

On a lighter note, have you seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGaqLT-gO4

Nic Wurzbacher
    Participant

Gotta love Banksy ! Most don’t get it.

biancaKOENIG
    Participant

I recommend against using “fake cameras.” It creates a false sense of security for folks within its view and could create a greater danger. (Referenced from Long Beach Police Dept.) But you do have the right idea of getting more “eyes” out there. Hopefully real and not fake!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register