Resume Gaps: Should times of unemployment be represented on the resume?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE Resume Gaps: Should times of unemployment be represented on the resume?

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    John.Dallinga
    Participant

Andrew,

Thanks for your humorous take on it. There is always a hint of fear in breaking from the conventional, but most times that break is exactly what it takes to get the response your looking for.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Convention seldom works for me because I am not well prepared for it, unfortunately. If you can’t win at one game, you have to play a different game that you can win. The trick is to get someone else to play with you.

The most effective way to lead a person across a stream is not to call him over. It is to go over to where he is, see what he sees, and walk with him to the place where you have already been. (yeah, I watched “Kung Fu” way too much back in the seventies). But seriously, try to put yourself in the person who is hiring for a specific job’s shoes and try to figure out what about you can make you a person of interest and what does not matter. Then try to figure out a format to get that across with the least amount of background noise.

Brock Piglia
    Participant

Sorry for the late response. My best case scenario is to return back to landscape architecture when I finish the MBA program. I am a MBA student with a concentration in Marketing. I agree with you and feel that a concentration in Marketing will be a huge advantage in any firm (large or small) for the same reasons you mentioned. My two friends who went the same route are working for LA firms. One is actually a Principal (who conentrated in Finance) of a medium-sized design firm.

I am currently in the program and expect to graduate in 2012. Right now I am an intern with a small advertising and marketing firm. The experience is great and can easily transfer over back into LA… otherwise, a career change into Marketing is my other option (see my angle here??)

Let me know what you think.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register