RFP/RFQ Process

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nca
    Participant

I was recently scanning the local county RFP board and noticed a new request for qualifications for an engineering/design consultant team for a pedestrian crossing.

I am wondering if anyone has ever had any luck soliciting design/graphic services independently. More specifically, I am wondering if it may be worth contacting the county directly as a graphic/conceptual design consultant.

I have even thought of doing some upfront work to showcase some ideas and services I can bring whether on this project or another in the future.

Worth the effort?

earthworker
    Participant

Typically,  you need to be on a pre-approved/qualified list of licensed/insured contractors or vendors.  To be on the list, a firm has to show it’s qualifications through previous project experience, proof of liability & e/o insurance and have a certain number of years experience.  You can create a proposal for the project but usually you must meet all these requirements.  Easiest way would would be to be a part of the design team that goes after the project.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

If you want to make it as an entrepreneur then pretty much everything is “worth the effort” unless it takes away from getting paid work done on time.

At the very least you might learn something useful for next time.

nca
    Participant

Thanks for the replies.

I’m not sure all that much is necessary to be hired as a design/graphics consultant. What does a town require when they commission a public artist or otherwise?

My objective would be to gain some credibility as a designer whether or not my ideas are utilized later, not to be involved with documentation and administration of the built work. I think I’ve probably answered my own question to that regard. I personally don’t see the harm in submitting drawings/ideas. I guess I’m just wondering if it’s worth the time and if anyone has had any experience with this approach.

I have heard that firms like MVVA occasionally submit unsolicited plans to clients in hopes of ‘stealing’ the project. I wonder if anyone here has had much success with this as a marketing tool?

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Many firms do make a good living doing nothing more than answering RFP/RFQs. We have recieved some projects this way, but there is usually quite a bit of competition for them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register