second story deck setback to pool

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums DETAILS & MATERIALS second story deck setback to pool

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I’m working on a limited site with maximum amenities – typical of this particular ocean front community. There is a swimming pool in the design which is up against the approved work limit line and a second story deck adjacent to where the pool is proposed.

I’m unable to find any documentation about a setback from a second story deck in Massachusetts. Would anyone have that information that can share it through a link at best, and direct knowledge at the least. …. just when I had a distance that I was comfortable with, they had the architect extend the effing deck!

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Aren’t second story decks, or any elevated deck for that matter, usually considered structure and therefore be subject to the same rules as the building?

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Jason, the issue is the kamakazi diver rather than the normal walking around the pool issue.

Henry, I will call the building inspector for the town that it will be in tomorrow, but I’m trying to get a draft out tonight.

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

You might also want to check your state or local health code, as that is where many of the pool regulations reside.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Most of the rules are in the health code including fencing, but the second story deck is not turning up for me. I’m probably just going to have to wait until I can call tomorrow.

The best that I could find was all the way over in Washington state …. 15′ horizontal. 

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Henry, that is helpful and not presumptuous at all. Still plenty on enclosures and diving, but I can’t find anything on overhead decks.

Thanks for the effort. I appreciate it … and have a more user friendly link now (mass.gov is awful unless you already know where you want to go – now I do).

Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register