Server folder structure

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hey guys. I’ve always worked for a small office or myself. We never really had any digital folder structure I didn’t set up myself. Now that we are growing and getting more and more people saving and accessing files and folders, I’d like to be more efficient. Can you all a share what your folder structure for your server is like.

Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be a problem something like collaborations on google drive or dropbox? These can get messy though, lol but so can an individual left to oneself. I think the key is having a clear folder for each project, then subfolders (used with some discipline) holding background info (client notes, maps etc.), preliminary designs, design elaboration drawings, and final presentation graphics. Same for estimating, etc. And then letting each other know regularly when there are revisions and updates to be shared.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Brandon,

I have worked at several offices, from sole proprietors, to 9-12 person firms, to 300+ person multi-discipline firms and everyone does this a little differently. I think the most important thing is setting up a standard file structure that works for your projects and reflects the way you work. It should be as simple as you can make it.

You will probably find that having a standard project folder and drawing setup will actually make you more efficient, and it will make it easy for others to know where to look for things. After 15 years of trial and error, I have finally landed on a structure that works very well for our small office (9 people).

I have a Project Folder Template set up with the folder structure below. When I get a new project, I simple do a save-as of this Template and I am off and running.

My AutoCAD drawing setup works like this: The Engineer and Architect send me their files which I save in the “Drawings-Received” folder. These files are then X-refed into my “Base” file and that is where all my proposed work is drafted. If the architect or engineer revises their drawings I simply update the x-ref.

The “Base” file is then x-refed into all of my other drawings where notes, labeling and dimensions are done. This allows multiple people to work simultaneously and everyone is referencing the same “Base” file. So if something changes in the base, all drawings will reflect that change. Each drawing can also set up viewports and utilize layer management however needed to tell the story. And since all notes and dimensions exist only in the plot sheets, you can avoid mudding up your base with 20 different text layers.

See below for my folder structure. I hope this helps you as you grow, good luck!

Project Folder Template

– Client
    – Contract
    – Invoices
    – Proposals
    – Drawings
    – Archive Files
    – Current Files
    * Base
    * Cover Sheet w/ Specifications
    * Existing Conditions
    * Site Improvements Plan
    * Grading Plan
    * Site Layout Plan
    * Details Plot Sheet
    * Planting Plan
    * Planting Details & Notes
    – Details
    * Granite Paving
    * Retaining Wall
    * Steel Cable Deck Rail
    * Etc.
    – Received
    – From Architect
    – From Engineer / Surveyor
    – Sent
    – Materials
    – Notes
    – Field Notes & Measurements
    – Sketches
    – Meeting Minutes / Memos
    – Site
    – Existing Mapping (GIS, Aerials, etc.)
    – Photos
    – Regulations & Ordinances

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry folder hierarchy/structure got lost in land8 auto-formatting, but hopefully you get the idea. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register