So How Are The Kids Doing?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have to back you up on this one Rob. Oh well, at least he stated that the discussion has some merit. 

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Haha… yes.  I did say that.  “Is Worthwhile” is probably a better word choice.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Ah, yes, thanks for clarifying.  To answer your question – Is there a problem – most likely.  Here are a couple of stories that share the concern:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-12-26/business/ct-biz-1226-millennials-20111226_1_millennials-new-poll-older-workers

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/magazine/do-millennials-stand-a-chance-in-the-real-world.html

That’s why I included the third question – what can employers do to ensure they are selecting the right candidate?  Aside from talent, what signs do you look for, or interview questions do you ask, to discern whether someone will meet your expectations?  Moreover, what can firms and coworkers do to mentor young professionals?  

So, I guess what I am trying to get at is – if there is a problem, what are we going to do about it?

Yeah…..you’re right, Craig……..I was just sort of touching on what you said – that you’re not an old dude….ha…..like ME. *smile*  I was up at NTSU in Denton for 3 semesters after HS…then, 4 yrs. in the U.S. Navy.  So, I got a late start on my LA career.

I tell you….your story about your helping that female LA with “grading design” sounds like a soap opera.  And, you’re so right about grading design…..it takes time & experience to get the hang of it.  She should have been very grateful to you for your help.  Funny…I was once reviewing a Civil Engineer’s Grading Plan…saw where he had several arrows pointing uphill…*smile*.  Last time I checked, water normally runs down hill.  Never said anything to him…I sort of assumed it was an oversight – I think…*smile*. But…I’m sure “I” have NEVER made any drawing errors…oh sure.

We could do an ENTIRE DISCUSSION on just “LA office conduct and/or situations”…..I’ve got a TON of them, as I feel sure you do as well. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is there a problem? Yes. What are we going to do about it? Absolutely nothing.

There are some young professionals that understand what life is all about. Most of knuckleheads will come around eventually. It’s just going to take them a little longer to figure things out. Once they’re completely out on their own, they’ll see that life is no joke and the world can be cruel place. They’ll see their unspoiled peers from this country and abroad kicking their butts. Then they’ll learn that there’s no free lunch and that their seniors (the idiots who fumble around lost on the computers) hold the key to their success. That’s why after 24 years in the business, I still hang on every word that my seniors care to share with me.

Who’s to blame? My generation the late baby boomers/me generation folks. We were so busy chasing our careers, exploring our sexuality, getting high and listening to early childhood development “experts” that we created these monsters. So know all we can do is stand around looking stupid wondering what went wrong. 

Roland Beinert
    Participant

I’ve run into two types of older employees. The first type has a lot of patience and clearly wants to help you get a good start at the firm. They give you insights about how that particular firm works (since each one is different), teach you shortcuts and other things you don’t know, give good, detailed instructions and have a sense of humor themselves. The second type is impatient and clearly doesn’t remember what its like to start out. They seem to want you to know things they never told you, and bite your head off whenever you make the slightest mistake. They are also the ones who make fun of you for even suggesting something new or different. I ended up learning a lot from both types, but you can guess which I prefer working for. I’m not complaining; I’m just saying that the whole thing about having the right attitude goes both ways, right?

Anonymous
    Inactive

You’re right man, a good attitude is important for juniors, seniors and everyone in between. There’s the whole thing about the internal customer. A boss can treat his staff like shit, but he/she pays a price in high turnover, sabotage, theft, etc. BUT, you have to understand that the junior staff member is not on equal footing with the senior staff member because the junior wants the knowledge the senior possesses. CAD savvy entry-level staffers are cheap and easy to replace and old farts that know their stuff are not. So the young professional has to dance to the tune of the old folks to a certain extent.

I’ve mentioned this before on another post that I think it’s important for seasoned LAs to teach the younger ones the ropes. That’s why I spend a certain amount of my free time here on this forum and volunteering as a mentor. I could be spending my time watching reality TV or at some bar, but I know that my time is better spent interacting with young professionals.

One of the biggest influences on my career was a grouchy old man in his late seventies (RIP Andy) who never even tried to get registered. When I first started working for him I hated to be around him because he used to bark at me when I’d get the slightest bit out of line, but it didn’t take long for me to see the love he had for landscape architecture and for a young brash designer like me. He would spend hours of his personal time to teach me the craft. I would sit with this guy who was old enough to be my grandfather on Friday nights drinking beer and talking about design when my friends would be getting ready to go party. Yeah I would meet up with them later on that night, but I wasn’t going anywhere until the old dude was too buzzed or sleepy to talk any longer.

So when one of us old farts is chewing on your ass about something, please understand we’re not trying to put you down or make you feel bad. We do it because we care about our profession and we want you to be the best LA you can be. I hope one day you feel the same way Roland. 

Roland…..you’ve made some excellent points here!

I think the KEY is…..to be able to be a “sponge” and learn everything you can from the LA’s around you with more experience (as well as….I’ve learned a TON from younger LA’s I’ve worked with).  But…..it’s important to “filter” out the BAD info. coming your way. 

I too have worked with BOTH types of employers & employees…….I’ve always believed that the patient ones with a great sense of humor – did so much more to help me….and my career.  I was fortunate to have worked for (2) Partners at a Dallas firm for 13 years.  Both great guys and exceptionally talented in different ways.  I learned an incredible amount of knowledge from these guys (both 8 yrs. my senior).  I NEVER would have made it on my own when I started my own LA practice at age 41…..had it not been for those 2 LA’s.  Couldn’t find 2 better bosses if I tried.  I was fortunate.

Oh how the young ones are not the same as they used to be.  

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers” – Socrates

nca
    Participant

Is Socrates hiring? Whats their website address?

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I don’t think young people are that much different in 2013 as they were when I got out of high school in 1980. Some are/were respectful, studied hard, and worked hard and some …. not so much. However, I do believe that adversity forces motivation and that there has always been easier times and harder times that affect generations in general ….  and circumstantial adversity that affects individuals at any time.

Those who have faced and conquered adversity tend to be less emotional about dealing with it than those who have not – meaning that they get down to work dealing with the issue(s) at hand as it is at the moment rather than dwelling about how it should be at that moment. This is not to say that how things ought to be won’t be addressed or is not a concern, but that it does not have to displace the matter at hand for each and every task we run into. There are times to deal with the task at hand and times to deal with bigger issues. Knowing which time zone you should be in makes a big difference to those you work for and those whom you work with.

I’m not an employer, but I have been involved with the hiring process on several occasions at various job situations (laborers, foremen, and design staff). These are universal answers rather than specific.

1.  What are 3 things that make a recent grad employable?

A. understanding the company’s need

B. possessing the skills to fill that need

C. showing an attitude of commitment to fitting the position as it is presented to you

2.  What are 3 best things that new hires can do to make an immediate impact/contribution in the studio?

A. do what is asked of you

B. do things the way you are told to do them (plenty of time for suggesting other ways in the future)

C. notice what you may do to make things easier for those whom you work with

3.  What are 3 questions to ask during an interview to ensure the candidate/firm is a good fit?

I think these are going to have to come from you based on what you feel was left unaddressed by the firm.  Any questions are best framed from the perspective of you fitting in with them rather than them adjusting to you. It is one more chance to show them that your attitude is about joining their system rather than just showing up for a job.

Tanya Olson
    Participant

Goes back even farther than that – same sentiments expressed in ancient China. INCLUDING complaints about the horrible music kids listen too!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register