Suburbs and Centerpivots

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nca
    Participant

Does anyone have any project examples of suburban development around centerpivot irrigated ag land? Or Examples of larger scale suburban agriculture? Agro-burban?

Trace One
    Participant

James Corner’s book of photos he did with Alex MacLean has some gorgeous aerial photos of the center pivoted irrigation agriculature on the large scale..You are probably familiar with that – it may not have the suburban juxtaposition you are looking for..

nca
    Participant

Thanks Trace. I vaguely recall Corners book and the photos.

We have a lot of great examples of center-pivots and other interesting ag patterns here in colorado, but typically those patterns disappear when suburbs sprout up.

I did find a website dedicated to ‘agriburbia’ of which I learned the founders of the movement are right here in Boulder, CO supposedly. I recall debating the feasibility of suburban farming a few months ago, well. evidently it’s really happening even in parts of Colorado. We’re working on a potentially very interesting project that could be a hybrid of the NU/medium dense and typical 1-3 DU/acre suburban patterns. We’ve looked at Jackson Meadow by Coen and Partners as an exaple of preservation and contemporary planning/patterning. I would call the coen plan ‘new colonialism’..dont know if that really makes sense, but it was my gut reaction. We also like Mayo Woodlands.

Thoughts?

Trace One
    Participant

Nick, It reminds me of the ‘required agricultural preserve’ in the Town of Southampton, a guideline that was required for residential subdivisions in the entire Town. An eleven lot residential subdivision, for example, (1-5 ac. lots) would preserve 20-30 acres of the site for agriculture, to retain the agricultural nature of the community (ostensibly) as well as to preserve open space. These lots, in this exceedingly flat landscape, as far as I am concerned, ended up looking like future neighborhood parks. They were really too small for the farmers to want to get their equipement there, and home-owners do NOT like living next to agriculture, as I am sure you can imagine why..Even horses, even really expensive ones, have manure piles – as part of the review process, we had to locate the manure pile.. One saving grace for the Hamptons was that the homes were often second homes..
    My acreage numbers may be off – maybe 3-5 acres lots, and 11AC ‘agricultural preserves. with a 20 lot residential subdivision…
    May be totally off comparison from what you are talking about..Not sure..It was certainly better than subdividing every last inch of ground, and future neighborhood parks is definitely a good thing. Could support community gardens in the future, perhaps..When I was there in Southampton, I remember the Subdivision guy looking up and saying, “That’s it – every last acre of open space that can be has been subdivided.” Gack..
    Reminds me of the “Golf Courses and Housing” craze that swept our nation..How many homeowners had to go to court over the balls on the fourthteenth fairway constantly breaking their picture windows – plus harrowing accouont from golf course guy in Charlottesville, of a little girls getting hit in the face with a golf ball – man he was vocal about the wrongness of golf and residences..
    Perhaps too alarmist..Perhaps not..
    Just my two cents, SINCE YOU ASKED!
    🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register