TRAVEL USA

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Pawsey
    Participant

Travelling to San Francisco from Sydney and was wondering what the ‘must see’ Landscape Architecture works were.  Many thanks.

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

levi-strauss plaza designed by Halprin is one of my fave places in SF…golden gate park is great!…..also, I love the transamerica tower, the pyramid building, an instant classic when completed in 1972….it has a redwood forest planted at the base of the building, very cool…of course, it dominates the skyline so you can’t miss it…have fun….

Andrew Pawsey
    Participant

Thanks Alan.  I will check it out.  Cheers Andrew

Brett T. Long
    Participant

Hey Andrew.  Welcome to the Bay Area!

The Academy of Science and other points in Golden Gate Park , The Castro, The Presidio and catch a Giants game at AT&T park. Pier 39 is a tourist trap, but you can jog from Levi Plaza along the piers through Marina Green to the Golden Gate in 6 miles and take in quite a bit.  You can take a taxi back if your are spent. 

Just across the Golden Gate Bridge in my area is: Muir Woods, Marin County Civic Center, Mt. Tamalpias and Stinson Beach.  Let me know if you are interested in some less well known points or local’s favorites for food.

ani alf
    Participant

My favorite place is Crissy Field and  Ferry buiding, plaza and the Embarcadero

Golden Gate PArk is enormous, see the Rhododendron Dell, The newly renovated  Carousel plaza at Golden Gate Park, De Young Museum, the Acacemy of Sciences,  The Japanese Tea Garden GGP, GGP Botanical Garden, Conservatory of Flowers

Also just newly renovated is the Palace of Fine arts (must see)

24th and York Mini Park (small playground),  Valencia Street Corridor.

Of Course SF must sees, Union Square, Coit Tower, Lombard Street, Baker Beach and the Marin Headlands for great views of the city from the other side of the GG bridge.

The sea lions near pier 39.

ani alf
    Participant

Hayes Valley and the Presidio also!  Too many great things to see–all outside.  In the Presidio there are two Andy Goldsorthy installations, one is ‘spire’ and the other just completed ‘wood line’  plus there is an Andy Goldwrothy scupture in from to the De young called ‘crack’the new disney museum, ILM Lucas Film–and the beautiful Legion of Honor Museum nearby.

Andrew Pawsey
    Participant

Hey Brett.  Awesome.  Thats g8.  Many thanks.  Andrew

Andrew Pawsey
    Participant

Hi Ani.  Thanks for the tips on Andy Goldsworthy.  I’ll look forward to seeing those.  Looking forward to visiting SF 🙂

Hi All, I’ll also be spending a little time in SF, so thanks for the post and great suggestions. Any good housing projects or developments, such as well designed mixed use or efficient/sustainable apartments etc., to add to the list? 

Cheers, Emily

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register