Turning a corner?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael McGrew
    Participant

Forgive a rare moment of optimism—but does it seem to anyone else that the economy is turning in a positive direction that may actually lead to more work for landscape architects?

In the past few weeks I’ve had several projects that have been held up for years start up again, checks for work performed months ago finally coming through the door, and a bit less competition for RFPs. I think at our office we are even in a position to consider hiring if we get one or two more projects—something far-fetched even as recently as this winter. We’re also not the only one’s in the region where this is occuring: I’ve heard of people being hired locally, and I see a few more national positions appearing here and at ASLA.

I’m certainly not claiming that we are back to normal, but like an investor you have to read the tea leaves and make assumptions from the little evidence to be had before it becomes common knowledge and you’ve missed the moment when things turned the corner.

There is room for cynicism: banks and developers have been keeping reserves of equity and purchasing property at low prices. With concerns about interest rates increasing and the debt ceiling there may be an immediate desire to invest now while rates are low. It could just as quickly be shut off again. Still, after three years of pessimism I’m getting a bit tired of it—so I’m just going assume that brighter days are ahead.

Agreed.  I think there is room for optimism and I have been feeling it for several months.  Our firm has been experiencing a lot of positive affects of a slowly turning economy.  Adding new clients, old clients starting to develop more and more even some international work.  We have actually been in a small hiring mode lately too.  We just hired a Landscape Architect in one of our offices.  Other offices are adding entry level architects and engineers.  Like you said we are not out of the woods by any means, but there are reasons to feel optimistic!!  To better days ahead.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the positive discussion Michael.

After three years of competing with “free design” landscape contractors for residential work and feeding myself positive affirmations, I feel like we’re starting to turn the corner. After hundreds of cold calls, responding to several RFPs, and looking under every stone for work, I landed a full landscape architectural service project consisting of two buildings on a state university campus. Believe it or not there’s actually enough funds budgeted to do something interesting.

I’m not celebrating just yet, I have a long way to go to get back to where I was in 2007, but at least I’m starting to see all of my efforts bear a little fruit.  Although I feel it’s premature to start popping corks, it is a nice feeling to know I stand a better chance of paying my bills this year than I did last year.

It’s amazing how motivating the fear of living on the street can be.

Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

Good to hear this, as I just came here after reading a MarketWatch article about the federal deficit and what the recession will have cost the economy that actually said “by the time it recovers in 2016.”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register