Vectorworks, landmark thoughts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jason Reibold
    Participant

All designers / landscape architects…

I’m thinking about switching over to a new software called Vectorworks. As someone that would like to work on residential projects / larger commercial / public work that includes lots of coordination, does this software make sense? Who has experience using this software?

Thanks

Our firm is a full-service LA firm – we do everything from single home sites to university campus work to high-performance athletic facilities – and we do it all on Vectorworks.   We frequently share DWG info back and forth with architects and civil engineers – and on those university projects, we go through many, many rounds of swapping data and updating each other, usually without a hitch once the drawing is set up. There are a lot of tools built into Landmark that I have found very useful across a number of project types. Using smart objects and worksheets, we have built workflows that help us through site planning, meeting landscape ordinances, and even LEED credit compliance. I just wish I had known how easy the transition would be after years of AutoCAD.  I tell people that Vectorworks is CAD for people who like to draw. 

Robert Anderson
    Participant

I wouldn’t think there would be a second thought as you work with at least three people I know, Shannon Stark, Emily Rogers and Lesley Conroy, who I believe are currently using it at your firm! They like Stephen and you neighbor down the street, The Landscape Architecture Bureau, have had great success transitioning and using Landmark.

As for coordination, myself and my clients, LAB and Carvalho + Good, have had no issues. LAB even exchanges files with Revit users using IFC format files (think DXF for BIM) and this has been a great benefit to these Architects. Say hi to Ryan for me and tell him my offer still stands to provide support and training. Even though I’m in NYC now I travel to DC often and have been working remotely with these two DC based firms. I have provided training for LAB and Town and Gardens here in NYC if you need referrals.

If the transition seems daunting don’t let it intimidate you. It is like Illustrator and AutoCAD combined and, with my personal experience at transitioning after using AutoCAD in its numerous incarnations since 1996, you can feel comfortable that you too will master it quickly.

Say hi to Shannon, Lesley and Emily too!

Alyssa Erickson
    Participant

I have lots of experience with Vectorworks and think its a great software. You can create beautiful drawings and create planting plans with the plant symbols library. It also creates planting schedules making life a whole lot easier! Its fun to work with too!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register