Vertical gardens are truly sustainable, or not ?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums SUSTAINABILITY & DESIGN Vertical gardens are truly sustainable, or not ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    enrico gaggia
    Participant

Vertical gardens are truly sustainable ?

Why?
    Rob Halpern
    Participant

I suppose it depends on what type of vertical garden you look at but, in general, I think it can be said that vertical gardens are energy- (irrigation and “lifts” for maintaining), water- (irrigation), and perhaps even labor- hogs. They invariably require exotic plants (not always) placed in inaccessible locations. In Patrick Blanc’s approach (as in your .jpg) the felt material deteriorates in a relatively short time (compared to the building beneath it).
    So what part is “sustainable”?

enrico gaggia
    Participant

Thank you for the reply! It`s true, so it’s only “garden design/marketing”?
    For me the vertical’s gardens are very nice.
    I would like to put on my projects, but the sustainable…..it’s my problem!!

Rob Halpern
    Participant

I believe they can be very beautiful and in an urban environment perhaps reduce heatload a bit. But they should be advocated for what they are, not for what we wish they were.

Steve Mercer
    Participant

I have a secret I want to share with you… (Hush, Hush) “There is life after sustainability” !!! Does your title say Sustainable Architect or Landscape Architect? Would you rather people look out their windows and just look and those beautiful bare concrete walls? At least the plants you incorporate in those walls absorb some of the heat that the concrete would have otherwise and they will also soak up some of the CO2 that is being generated at a rapid pace from the automobiles down on the street and emit pure Oxygen in stead. You do breath Oxygen correct? Sustainable? depends on your definition. There are reasons for designing something that has nothing to do with sustainability. Careful about biting off to much sustability…your customers might just cause you to choke on it. Landscape Designers and Landscape Architects are hired to solve problems usually created by Architects. If you can incorporate to ideals of sustainability great but don’t forget what you were hired to do.

s.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Vertical gardens – the little green pill.

All discussion of vertical gardens should have the following disclaimer:

Check with your structural engineer to make sure your building is health enough for a garden. If your vertical garden stays is sustainable for more than four hours, call your botanist. Some buildings get window leaks or other side effects. Only a sound structure should use vertical gardens.

Steve Mercer
    Participant

LOL! Great comment Andrew!

s.

enrico gaggia
    Participant

Thanks for the Reply!!

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Will it grow without intensive and artificial life support such as fertilization or irrigation?

The only sustainable vertical garden I know of is Ivy, Virginia Creeper or Bougainvillea growing from the ground up. The stuff is essentially weeds, so it is very tough. It can also destroy buildings over time, especially masonry.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

I do like Ivy on a stucco or brick wall. Are they any worse or better than replanting urban street trees every 5 years?

Vertical gardens in general are:

Sustainable-
    Absorb heat, looks really nice,

Not Sustainable-
    Fertilizer and other inputs, irrigation, conflicts with building maintenance, cost, materials,

Some people look at vertical gardens for food. Absolutely one of the worst ways to make food. It is a tough sale to say that organic vertical veggie gardening is sustainable, at least not without an insane amount of inputs and irrigation. Cost does not make the convenience or gas savings worth the other inputs into the system.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Maybe the question should be. Are vertical gardens more sustainable?

enrico gaggia
    Participant

yes the question should be!!

Wes Arola, RLA
    Participant

ficus

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

In Norway, yes.

In Southern California, no.

But they are “cool” everywhere…

enrico gaggia
    Participant

Amazing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register