website feedback

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Cara McConnell
    Participant

Flash, CSS…So What? What’s that have to do with landscape architecture? Puhlease don’t use the another way to “marketing” my work tool excuse. Show me where there’s a job listing in ASLA that addresses knowledge in Autocad, Sketch Up, Flash, Web site design, animation…all in one description.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

she’s a troll, ignore her.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Looks great! I, too, like the napkins. I appreciate the time you took to do something original that even professional web-developers don’t do…male something unique. I’m a bit skiddish on all the animation, but on your site, it works as it sin’t too contrived or flashy. Nice job!

nca
    Participant

I’m looking for an intern..can you handle emptying trash on a monthly basis? No pay of course.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

I’ve never met an accomplished RLA who can also take out the trash.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Generally speaking, I think it looks great Nick. It’s more than I could do.

I can understand a little bit where Cara is coming from, but if your design, plant knowledge and other landscape architecture skills are up to par, I say why not.

Keep up the good work!

landplanner
    Participant

I am somewhere. between using Flash (really basic rudimentary application e.g. no coding)
    and WordPress. to do my portfolio website Yours sounds spectacular and should be given your effort and time Can you offer this neophyte any pointers on how to get something a little less polished and snazzy as what Nick has done here and not get too.mired in learning more than basic Flash so I can end with a website with some level of punch and power? I applaud your dedication and drive to build what reads as a killer Flash driven website.

Jay Smith
    Participant

In somes cases, thieves are using anothers credentials and references to obtain employment (assuming anothers identity).  Or using the information on the resume and filling in the blanks with a little extra work for more traditional means of identity theft.  Just do a websearch for professional identity theft,etc.  Not saying the odds are high of this happening, but it should make one think twice about posting their entire professional background on a public site for all to see.

Cara McConnell
    Participant

Thanks for your life story, nrcsmid. Next time, tell me over some cocktails and background music. You can give me the “one” LA job post that is in search for someone with Cad “and” Flash background.

Cara McConnell
    Participant

That’s the point…he’s not RLA.

Cara McConnell
    Participant

“Any feedback is welcome” – Nick Aceto.

Some of you folks just don’t get it. I didn’t attack anyone here on a personal level. I’m giving you my honest, maybe harsh reality opinion of what you are asking: “Feedback of My Website?” Isn’t that what you asked for? What is it do you want…the same gobbledygook, “ohhh it looks good”, feel good story to stroke your ego comments about what you’ve done? You didn’t invent the wheel. Most of you guys need to acquire thicker skins!

Nick, you posted the question, right? And by doing so opened your web site for criticism. If all you wanted was good news and a pat on the back for okay work, then why post? What do you learn from it? I’m offering a different perspective…from someone who actually does the graphic design work for an advertising agency…and believe me when I say, it has never landed me a position in a landscape architecture related office or position. All the time you are spending on Flash or Dreamweaver, you could be doing it on the LARE.

In a perfect world, I would be doing less of this and more actual landscape design. No A&E firm is going to hire you to do billable work designing web sites!! Hello!! My comments are just an alternative, it may be what you didn’t want to hear, but again, you asked by posting it. Is it fair that an athlete who is paid $15 million a year to play team sports gets negative criticism for not performing to a certain level? Should one expect it? Or should a politician who is running for office only receive and be asked mild questions?

Next time you ask for opinions…insert a disclaimer or footnote: “Please use kind words only, since I don’t have a backbone.”

nca
    Participant

“No A&E firm is going to hire you to do billable work designing web sites!!…”

Really? you should stop typing now.

Cara, thing is, you sound like you’e talking out your ***. Also, you make ALOT of assumptions about myself and others. And lastly, your criticism is off base and unconstructive.

How do you know how much time I do or do not spend studying for the LARE? Why do you care somuch? And how do you know that I don’t have FARRR more experience than you?

I’ve read your comments on other peoples work here and you carry the same tone throughout. I strongly believe that part of being a good designer is being a good critic.

That said, I’d be happy to read more of your comments.

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with you on this one Nick. But there’s something twisted in me that enjoys her rawness. I get the impression that she’s actually a real life bad a$$. Collateral damage doesn’t matter. She just comes in with all guns blazing. On top of all that I think she’s pretty sharp.  

nca
    Participant

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate the rawness too. This site could use some good trolling.

Still doesn’t mean she knows what shes talking about. The profile pic throws me more than anything I think,..then again..I’m a plug.

Cara McConnell
    Participant

Well…you couldn’t be spending that much time on it, since time is devoted to flash and getting the necessary feedback to boast your website, right? You must be awake 24-7.

A good critic also means to point out the faults. You can’t handle the truth, it’s that simple. Or shut out any comments not pertaining to boasting your website in a positive (what you view as such) way. I NEVER made any negative comments about the specific site (still haven’t visited). People are just sooo touchy and light skinned during this economy.

Just be sure to insert the disclaimer everytime you post or ask a question. I now actually regret informing you to studying up on landscape architecture instead of devoting time to the tools of the graphic designer. I’m not a bit surprised you are not RLA!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register