What next?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

HI EVERYONE, OK I know this is a kind of tricky question. I’m Going to Graduate with my BLA(hons) degree in 2017 from University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka, and I’m putting my best effort to complete it. Landscape Architecture is a emerging field in Sri Lanka. My question is What should i do next? Apply for a MLA ? or Joine a Firm and practice and gain Landscape techniques and Mangement in the field? What is worth?      

Barbara Peterson
    Participant

I would recommend taking some time out to work.

The MLA program that I completed (and ones that a few of my friends had) (whether a thesis or non-thesis program) required you prepare a “final study project”. Unless you are sure of what you want to do for such a “final study”, I would recommend working with a firm to gain overall experience and potentially narrow down your “interest”.

Or you may find that you don’t actually need an MLA.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks you for giving me wisdom. I love LA,since it is a newly emerging field in Sri Lanka there is no firm clearly practice LA. This cause me to raise this question. Whether I should go for a MLA ahead gaining Practical Knowledge…..   

Tosh K
    Participant

I’m not entirely sure how an MLA works over there, but in general it’s either for students who studied something else previously or for those wanting to research more on specific areas of LA.  Practical knowledge is what you’ll need to actually practice, so I would strongly suggest getting some type of practical training (and understand that LA may not be articulated as a job position, but the the work can still be LA).

Patrick A. Trisler
    Participant

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation. It’s great to hear that Landscape Architecture is gaining a foothold over there. It would be exciting to be part of, I’m sure.

I agree with what others have said; take a few years to work in the field. You’ve got plenty of time ahead of you to go to back to school if you should so choose. Me, I take work over academic experience any day. It builds your portfolio and it can make you money whereas school will cost you. It would be especially useful if you decide to go back to school because you want to teach.

Aaron Ackerman
    Participant

Congratulations! 

Like others have suggested, I also think you should take time off school to expose yourself to the field.  It will not only confirm your aspirations for a career in landscape architecture, but you will be a better and more prepared graduate student as well, if you choose to go back to school in the future.  Hope this helps!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks you all for advising me. Now It’s Clear……….

Now there is a clear target to achieve after gaining my graduation. I’m going to find out a good place to gain practical knowledge. I didn’t expect this much of replies, now I’m certain about my future profession. Thank you all!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks you Chris.What will be a suitable Masters program for a BLA(hons) degree holder? Up to now I’m haven’t choose one.  

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks you!!!

Now I got an idea. I have to work out and find what will be the most profitable path for my future. At the moment I’m interest at Water resource engineering and Urban paining. 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register