What products do you specify to save energy, water, labor, or use recycled materials?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION What products do you specify to save energy, water, labor, or use recycled materials?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bob Luther
    Participant

I am looking to start a discussion on products (specific, in production products) that we as designers may not know about. I am thinking of items that will make our designs better by saving electricity, water, labor, or materials. Please also include any web sites so we can look at the manufacturer’s literature on the product.

Bob Luther
    Participant

After the big Xeriscape discussions this morning I would have thought everyone would have some items that the would add to this discussion… I will start

I love to use…

subsurface drip tubing
    Individual drip emitters at each shrub (if I cannot use sub surface drip)
    Deep well bubblers on all trees and Palms
    Annual color on its own zone with Xeri-pop sprays
    Et Irrigation controllers
    Leit Solar Controllers are a great idea but not as practical as I would like
    Decomposed granite mulch with cobble accents
    Agaves and Cacti when appropriate

Roland Beinert
    Participant

Here’s something called an olla, which I bet a lot of us have never heard of: http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/99804/ . I know it’s not a flashy modern product, but the simplest method is usually the cheapest, right? I bet on small garden areas it might work well, limit the amount of irrigation and add a decorative element. Here’s a longer article on them: http://www.sfmga.org/olla.htm
    Here’s something called the RainXchange, which harvests rainwater below ground and allows reuse in several different: ways: http://www.frontierponds.com/RainXchange.pdf . I’m sure there are a lot of similar products out there.
    As you probably already know, how you design things to save electricity, water, etc. is often as important as what products you use. It’s always cheaper to find a way not to use a product or to find one that can serve more than one purpose at a time. For example, if you dig a swale and then plant trees on the south side to shade the plantings around the swale, you get less evaporation. So the trees are performing a function other than just looking good, and you didn’t have to pay any extra for it.

J. Waldron, RLA
    Participant

I generally practice good use of xeriscaping techniques coupled with the use of bio swales, and natives. I also recommend rain barrels to homeowners and larger capturing systems to my larger, commercial clients.

one of the bigger “recycling” things I like to do on larger developments is use recycled concrete and asphalt from on site demo, on site excavated stone for rip-rap and earth retainage, and have the timber contractor double grind cleared timber for mulching and stabilization.

Bob Luther
    Participant

I love the recycle concrete tip… nice!

Bob Luther
    Participant

I will look into fiber wattle…cool!

J. Waldron, RLA
    Participant

They are much better than gravel bags when used as inlet protections. they also come in customizable lengths that can be cut to fit in the field. I prefer the grass straw or coconut fiber varieties.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register